15 June 2012

Garlicky Eggs with Mushrooms on Toast



When I saw a similar recipe on another blog, I knew I had to try it. It's everything that I love in just one recipe: eggs, roasted garlic, mushrooms and toast. 

A great breakfast, but it's not something to enjoy every day unless you cut the butter.

This is a nice and very flavorful change to my regular breakfast of two fried eggs on toast. Definitely I'll be trying it more often just to break the routine. 


Since I've been walking five miles every morning, this is a great pairing to the Chocolate Oatmeal Shake I drink for breakfast (which, by the way, I'll be updating the recipe very soon) to fuel my workout. Lots of protein and good carbs to push me on that trail...

I've also been sharing snapshots of my meals and workouts on Instagram and Twitter. You can follow me (here and here) to see more. 




Roasted Garlic gives the eggs a sweet flavor, and somehow, makes them creamier. No need to add cream, just add a clove of mashed roasted garlic to create a smooth texture.  




The mushrooms add meatiness to the dish while keeping it light so your body doesn't have to work harder on digesting you breakfast, instead it can concentrate on giving you energy for the day.
 


Fluffy whipped eggs are the secret to the dish. Add a bit of almond milk (or any milk) to the eggs to make them softer. Cook the eggs over very low heat stirring constantly

Oh, and add lots of fresh parsley to make it pretty!


 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(inspired by this recipe, serves two)

4 Eggs
2 big pieces of Whole Wheat Bread
2 small Portobello mushrooms
4 Cloves of Garlic, unpeeled
2 tbsp Almond milk
1 tbsp Butter
1/2 tsp Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
lots of fresh Parsley


-First start by roasting the garlic cloves. Take 4, unpeeled, cloves and rub them with a bit of olive oil. Cover them with aluminum foil (or parchment paper) and roast at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. You can roast more garlic to save for other recipes. 

-Slice the mushrooms very thinly (less than a cm). In a skillet, melt the butter slowly until it turns brown (make sure not to burn it), add two cloves of garlic and mash them in the butter. Add the mushrooms and sautee for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, add chopped fresh parsley, mix well. Sautee until the mushrooms are tender and cooked. Reserve.

-In a small bowl, whisk the eggs with some salt, pepper, a splash of milk and two cloves of garlic. Make sure everything is well incorporated. Add a little butter to a skillet, and cook the eggs over very low heat, stirring constantly. I usually turn off the heat after the first minute of cooking. I like my eggs soft and fluffy. Remove from the heat as soon as the eggs are set but a bit undercooked. they will continue cooking with the remaining heat while the bread toasts.

-Cut two big pieces of bread in half and toast them. 

-To assemble: just arrange a few slices of mushrooms on top of the bread. Top with the scrambled eggs and some more fresh parsley. Done! 





8 comments:

Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche said...

So simple but it sounds delicious - I love roasted garlic!

vianney said...

roasted garlic, mushrooms and eggs ~ divine!

kankana said...

love portobello mushroom, love roasted garlic and love this breakfast. That frame of egg is brilliant!

movita beaucoup said...

That photo up there - of the eggs in their wee container awaiting their fate - makes my heart go pitter patter. LOVING your work!

TROTAMUNDOS said...

This looks so delicious, I will be making it this summer for sure. This looks amazing!

Trotamundos

Anonymous said...

nice posting.. thanks for sharing.

Mark said...

Great photography! The fresh herbs are a must too. I love any of them on my eggs. Thanks!

janesbk said...

serve with a broiled half of tomato sprinkled with 1/2 tsp basil

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.