04 June 2012

Chocolate Oatmeal Shake ... & a belated 30th Birthday

I never wrote a proper post for my birthday last month. I turned 30 on April 26th. I had been planning a post for that day, but somehow, between the chaos of that week  and my Mom's visit, I never posted anything.

I was so excited to finally turn 30. Leaving my twenties behind was a huge relief. Not that they were bad, on the contrary, they were great. I went to Europe, completed a bachelors and a masters, moved to the US (from Puerto Rico), started this blog... overall, many good things happened. But the chaotic uncertainty that accompanies the twenties, was certainly left behind.

My life is still uncertain, but now I just don't care anymore.


Now I take life as it comes. Every challenge has a purpose, and I'm just starting to see that. My struggles are very much the same now as they were then. The difference is that now I know how to deal with them.

Over the past month, I've decided to take care of myself, fix a few things before it's too late. Changing my eating habits has been the number one priority. I've transitioned into a completely organic diet, that was step one. Step two is to eliminate processed foods completely. Currently, brown rice pasta, bread, cheese and almond milk are the only foods I buy packaged (I'm looking into homemade alternatives). Step three is to stop using the microwave (here). I'm going to need to a buy a kettle to heat water for my tea.

Step four is to develop a few daily habits: move more, drink lemon water with cayenne first thing in the morning (like my mother taught me but I never did before) and oil pulling (which I still haven't tried). I also want to start taking detoxifying baths with apple cider vinegar

It's a lot to change, but ultimately, step by step, I'll be able to do it.  


Another of the habits that I've started is to drink a raw oatmeal shake every morning after breakfast. 

My daily breakfast (for so long!) has been two pan fried eggs with a slice of whole wheat bread (I have recently cut to just one egg). And no, I never get tired of it. People ask me if I'm worried about my cholesterol levels. Although high cholesterol does run in my family, it has never been an issue for me. Considering that I rarely eat meat, only drink non dairy milk, only eat whole grains and use butter sparingly, I really don't think about it much.

But if there is something that can counteract the effects of eggs every morning is this shake. 


To prepare it, before going to bed the night before, in a jar, mix a half cup of old fashioned rolled oats (not quick cooking), a cup of your favorite non dairy milk (I use almond, rice or hemp) and let it soak, covered, overnight. 

The next day, pour the soaked oats in a blender. Add 2 tsp Raw Cocoa Powder, 1 tsp Turbinado Sugar, 1/4 tsp Cinnamon, a pinch of Cardamom, 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract, and blend for one minute until everything is smooth. 

I like my shake to be watery, not thick like a smoothie. You can adjust the amount of milk, or add a banana to make it thicker. Tomorrow I'm going to try it with some nut butter to see how it tastes!

*I add a small amount of sugar because I like the bitterness of chocolate, but you can use any sweetener in any amount that you like. Next week I'm going to try Coconut Palm Sugar.  



Galexi Cupcakes said...

Very interesting Yadsia! Keep me updated on the taste of the shake with the nut butters.

shruti said...

very delicious ! i could drink this everyday :)

Ruby said...

Hey! We are birthday twins! Happy belated birthday and congratulations on your life changes; it takes a lot of strength to break daily habits. This shake looks delicious, I think I'll be trying it out in place of my usual morning oatmeal sometime soon!

MyFudo™ said...

Belated Happy Birthday! My mother said, and this is also the advice that I'd like to share as you have entered a new journey...In order, to be happy in life, always eat a good breakfast! You have started by sharing a wonderful breakfast option. Thanks!

Kelley said...

I love the way you set up your photos & this shake looks divine.
I've been trying to eat more meusli & granola for breakfast but often end up eating breakfast potatoes.
This looks like a perfect alternative I could actually drink every day : )
Good luck with the changes, sounds like you're doing amazing.

Spencer said...

Looks absolutely delicious! I could drink about 10 of them in one sitting I reckon.

kankana said...

happy belated birthday :) The shake sounds delicious and I love the gorgeous light in the photo!

Deeba PAB said...

Happy belated birthday! I love that you've sat up and made such wonderful changes in your daily life. I am very inspired.... by you and the shake as well!

Anonymous said...

We're also birthday twins! Even though I'm barely starting my 20s, I turned 21. :) I aspire to eat clean as you are, too. I just came across this today but will definitely be checking now. :)

Cecilia said...

Hi, I'm latin. Today, I posted in my blog "Cecilia en Casa": "Batida de Avena".
I like your recipe, I will do it for my kids. It was a pleasure for me to visit your blog.

See you soon.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.