14 May 2012

Root Vegetable Patties with Spicy Chorizo




It's funny how slow time passes when you're expecting important news. I've been staring at the phone all day, not even using it because I don't want to 'disturb' it. Silly, right? 

It's a good thing that Downton Abbey exists. Otherwise I'd be going completely out of my mind. I've been watching episodes back to back since last night. Have you watched that show?

I get lost in the accent, the scenery and opulent meals.   



The two cooks spend all day cooking from scratch and gathering ingredients. That's somewhat how this dish came to be. 

I've been imagining all the fresh produce that the local farmers supply to them and thinking about how to incorporate them in one dish. I just don't have the time to be in the kitchen all day like them.

Inspired by another recipe, I decided to give this dish a try. It's simple, and easy enough but very flavorful thanks to the combination of different root vegetables.

You can use any combination of root veggies you want and even use kale instead of brussels sprouts. For even more flavor, roast half a yellow onion along with the veggies. Mash everything together, form the patties and broil them until golden brown. Pair the patties with the spiciest chorizo you can find. Don't worry too much about exact measurements, it really doesn't matter.

I recommend that you use all organic ingredients. I've been eating only organic lately, and have really noticed the difference. 


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(makes about ten small patties)

8 Brussel Sprouts
1 Carrot
2 Parsnips
1 Turnip
1 tsp Thyme, dried
3 Red Potatoes
3 Garlic Cloves
Salt and Pepper
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Spicy Chorizo


-Peel and chop all the veggies (except potatoes) and put them in a baking dish. Season with oil, salt, pepper and thyme. Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes. 

-Chop the potatoes and boil in salted water until done, remove from water and mash.

-When the veggies are roasted, puree in the food processor. They can be as chunky or as smooth as you like. I like to see some chunks of veggies in the patties. 

-Mix the mashed potatoes with the pureed veggies. Season with salt and pepper if necessary. Form the patties (about 3 inches). Place in a baking dish and broil until they are golden. Serve warm over greens and roasted spicy chorizo.  

   

3 comments:

Reem | Simply Reem said...

These Patties sound Yum!!!
I really like how they are loaded with veggies....
Beautiful.

Priscilla M said...

Yes, please! :)

dessert girl said...

Two of my favorite things! Downton Abbey and root vegetables! I thought the first season was better than the first, but I still love it.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.