15 May 2012

Vegan Mocha Chocolate Cake for my Dad



I was lucky enough to grow up with three strong paternal figures: my two Grandfathers and, of course, my Dad. By watching them, they taught me most of what I needed to learn about men. But today I'm celebrating the life of one them: my Dad! 

Today is his birthday! He turns 56 years young. For most of my life we have not lived together, not even in the same country. But he has always been there for me and my younger brother. Like we say in Puerto Rico, "Hasta para un bautizo de muñecas".

This Vegan Mocha Chocolate Cake is for him...

 

Most of the time, we agree to disagree, but in many ways we are very alike. 

I got the photography gene from him. Since I can remember he has always loved photography. I still have a very old camera and flash bulbs that once belonged to him. 

As you can maybe see in the picture below, we look very much alike. We have the same curly hair, pale skin, freckles and small brown eyes. And we are both Taurus!

 
In front of the Roman Coliseum in 2007.


But I also inherited the not-so-good traits. We are both procrastinators, we buy books to never read them, leave clothes and empty glasses all around the house, and the list could go on. But lets concentrate in the good things.

He now lives in Spain. For my birthday, two weeks ago, he sent me an amazing book about Spanish cuisine. When we talked on the phone this afternoon, he asked me to bake a cake and dedicate a post to him in my blog. He is very proud of me and what I do, so I had to do it even though I'm a terrible baker.

That's why I always go back to the same recipes (here and here). This one is a new version of an old recipe I've posted here before and have been making for years. Just a few tweaks here and there to get a whole new cake. He loves coffee so I had incorporate it somehow. 

Papi, esto es para tí, Te Amo...



~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(use all Organic ingredients if possible)

for the cake

1 1/4 cups of Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
3/4 cups of Raw Turbinado Sugar
1/3 cup Raw Cocoa Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1 cup Water
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
a pinch of Cardamom (optional)
2 tsp Ground Coffee (doesn't need to be instant)
1/3 cup Unrefined Coconut Oil
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar


for the glaze  

1 tbsp Unrefined Coconut Oil
2 tbsp Raw Cocoa Powder
3 tbsp Raw Turbinado Sugar
1 tsp Ground Coffee
2 tbsp Rice Milk (or any other milk)


-In a small bowl, heat the water until boiling. Remove from heat, add the sugar, coffee and oil. Mix and let it cool down for 8-10 minutes.

-Mix the rest of the ingredients (except the vinegar) in another mixing bowl. Add the liquid once it has cooled down, but it's still warm. Mix well, then incorporate the vinegar. Pour onto a greased 9 inch baking dish and bake for 20-15 minutes at 350 degrees. 

-While the cake is baking, mix the glaze ingredients in a small sauce pan, cook for 2 minutes over medium high heat. Remove from heat and set aside.

-When the cake is done, pour the glaze over it while it's still hot. Serve the cake warm, it tastes better that way.     

  


10 comments:

Joelle said...

I've been reading your blog for a while now. I have always enjoyed your recipes and am really enjoying reading about you and your life and family.

Pencil Kitchen said...

Its very important to have support from your family. It sounds like you both have a bond.
Blood is thicker than water afterall, doesn't matter how far apart.

Anonymous said...

Yadsia, I'm so proud of you. I'll know that this was the best Birthday gift that he will
received in his whole life. No matter what we will always be with you.
Love you, Tití

kankana said...

Such a cute post with such lovely memories! Happy birthday to your dad :)

Hannah said...

That cake looks SO delicious. Terrible baker? I think not. Happy birthday to your dad. You two sound like two lovely peas in a pod. :)

Cooking Rookie said...

This is such a beautiful cake! Happy belated Birthday to your dad :-).

Anamika@madcookingfusions said...

Its always important to have a good family support system, good to read about your posts revolving around family :), The cake looks really delicious, grt clicks on your space!

MyFudo™ said...

Looks like a really delightful cake...Happy Birthday to your Dad!

sophiesfoodiefiles said...

A fabulous & very appetizing vegan moch chocolate cake! Yummy!

M Jazeel said...

Your blog is soo interesting, love to keep on reading more..
gotto try out your recipe this weekend :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.