24 May 2012

Breakfast Pancake Cupcakes



To get out of the egg-and-toast-in-the-morning rut, I decided to bake some pancakes.  

Not that there is anything wrong with a morning breakfast ritual, I happen to like routine. But sometimes a little change can be beneficial to your health. By switching to a different food, you get to eat different nutrients.  


 

For the past few months I've really tried to like rhubarb. It wasn't the first time that bought it, but it was the first time that I tried to cook with it.  The experience was terrible.

It smells like celery but it's red like strawberries, that is just too weird on its own. I was promised that it would taste sweet and tangy. It did taste tangy, but it wasn't sweet at all. Because I didn't want it to go completely to waste, I tried to eat it with my breakfast cupcakes to mask the flavor of the rhubarb compote. That didn't work either. 
 

 


Rhubarb looks pretty and makes a nice crunchy sound when you slice it, but it fell short in the flavor department. Needless to say, I will never cook with it again.

I may try it if someone else cooks it for me, though.
  
 

These Breakfast Cupcakes are very easy to make. 

You start with a base of your favorite pancake mix, then add a couple of tablespoons of cocoa powder and one tablespoon of coconut oil. Then mix and bake like cupcakes.

Pair them with your favorite pancake toppings. I used maple butter and raw pecans. You could also add some nuts to the batter. 

They keep in the fridge for up to two days, just warm them in the oven before eating, then add your favorite toppings.  
  

 

I used my favorite pancake mix: Organic Buttermilk Pancake & Waffle Mix 100% Whole Grain from the Whole Foods brand.

You can use any type of gluten free mix you like, just make sure to use organic raw cacao powder and organic unrefined coconut oil.

It's also very easy to make a double batch.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
(makes 12 small cupcakes)

1 cup of your favorite Pancake Mix
2 tbsp Raw Cocoa Powder
1 tbsp Unrefined Coconut Oil
2/3 cup of warm Water
Maple Butter
Raw Pecans


-Preheat the oven at 350 degrees.
-Mix all the ingredients (except maple butter and pecans) in a bowl.
-Pour the batter into 12 cupcake molds in equal parts. Bake for 12-16 minutes.
-Top with maple butter and raw pecans. Eat warm!  
 



17 comments:

Galexi Cupcakes said...

I love it Yadsia!! I love all your pictures and mouth watering recipes!!
Jackie

Priyanka said...

Very innovative

kankana said...

That would make my breakfast delicious and probably for once I will never skip breakfast ;)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious said...

What a fun breakfast twist! And I love how portable it is too.

GlamorousGirl said...

cute!!!

http://glamourgirl-bg.blogspot.com/

trumatter said...

Ah! Lovely. Yadsia, I needed to email you...where can i? I wanted to cook something spicy and mexican for my boyfriend. Its his birthday on the 1st. Any suggestions?

Andrea said...

Do you have a recipe for the maple butter?

Brighteyedbaker said...

I just tried rhubarb recently and I liked it! I agree that the smell is weird for the idea of making something sweet, but I thought that with the right amount of sugar and other paired flavors, it was really good. To each her own though, right? I love the pancake muffin idea though. Seems easier than pancakes because you can make them ahead, and the photos are so cute!

Brighteyedbaker said...

I just recently tried rhubarb and I liked it, although I agree that the smell can kind of throw you off. I think as far as sweetness goes it just needs enough sugar and it seems to help if you have another flavor to paid with the rhubarb. These muffins look yummy and they seem easier to whip up than pancakes; such a great idea! Love the photos too:)

Yadsia @ShopCookMake said...

@Andrea:

I don't have a recipe for Maple Butter. I buy mine at Whole Foods. Although I might need to do some research and fine one!

Andrea said...

Yes, me too! It sounds delicious!

Clara Turbay said...

great combinations and new proposals

Greenbay Packers Show said...

Looks so good!cute!

mjj said...

Yadsia, Over 28yrs ago my soon to be husband brought home a bunch of rhubarb from his grandfathers farm, I coming from the big city had never seen or heard about rhubarb, I to thought it was like celery and kept removing the strings which results in NO more rhubarb. I have since won the fight over what to do with rhubarb, for years my kids wanted nothing to do with it which was just fine with my husband but in the last few years they have figured out that it is great stuff. I first began to like it by making a rhubarb crisp with fresh strawberries and now I mix it with many different fruits, his by far favorite thing is strawberry/rhubarb jam. I found this website the other day with so many different recipes maybe you can find something there you may like: http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/recipes

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies said...

What gorgeous photos! I've actually never had rhubarb--my husband loves it though and I sort of feel guilty that I never bake or cook with it. Like I'm depriving him or something!

The muffins look delicious. I'm definitely going to need to buy some maple butter--YUM!

Haley @ Cheap Recipe Blog said...

Your photos are beautiful - and your recipes look amazing. So glad I discovered your blog (through FoodGawker)

Lisa Marie @ MidwestVeg said...

The rhubarb really does look pretty! I've never tried it before, but I'm very curious.

The breakfast cupcakes look great. I might make them on the weekend for my son. It's such a cool idea!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.