10 April 2012

Tilapia á la Grenobloise



I'm not ashamed to say that I've eaten this dish three times already...

The first time I prepared it for a friend that I had over for lunch. It was the perfect afternoon cooking and eating. Right after eating, we walked around the land where I live, taking pictures and enjoying the quietness of the country.

 

 Because I live in the south, I've been exposed to fish in all its variations. I don't really like fish, but I'd eat it when my mom would make me and my brother late night dinners of pan fried Tilapia with Green Peppers and Yellow Onion. She would slowly cook the Tilapia in a little butter and olive oil, then add the onions and peppers to continue cooking. It was delicious! 

This recipe is easy and is ready in about 10 minutes. Perfect for impromptu lunches like the ones I had yesterday. 

Don't you just love to watch people eat the food you prepare? To me, that's the best part.

 

Living in the country has its perks. I have to drive at least 20 minutes to get anywhere, but the views and animal sightings are amazing, that makes up for everything else. At night, I see racoons, rabbits, wild turkeys and deers. During the day, it's mostly cows, black birds, donkeys, goats and dogs.

Oh, and there are frogs everywhere! In every color and size you can imagine.  

 
  
It was nice to enjoy the gentle heat of the spring here in Florida. The sunlight was perfect and the animals seemed to be enjoying lunch as well.

I'm in awe with the color of their fur and how soft they are. I had never seen such beautiful cows.  

 

A few notes on the recipe: 

-Don't worry about seasoning the fish, it's not necessary. The sauce is very flavorful.
-Make sure the fish is completely thawed before cooking.
-Use any fish you have on hand, as long as they're cut in thin fillets.
-Cook about 2 minutes per side. 
-Only a very thin coat of flour is necessary. 
  



~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
(serves four)

Adapted from My Father's Daughter by Gwyneth Paltrow.


4 Tilapia fillets
1/3 cup of Milk
3/4 cup of Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 tbsp Butter, divided
2 tbsp Capers
1 Lemon, skin discarded and cut into thin circles (see the first picture)
Maldon Sea Salt


Prepare the sauce by adding 3 tbsp of butter in a small saucepan, cooking over medium heat until it starts turning brown and smells like nuts. Remove from the heat, then add the capers, swirl them in the butter for 1 minute and add the lemon wedges. Reserve.

Put the flour and milk in separate bowls. Add the oil and remaining butter in a non-stick skillet. The oil should be about 1cm deep. Dip the fish in the milk then cover in a thin layer of flour. Cook in the oil, two minutes per side, over medium-high heat. Do this in batches, if necessary.

Transfer the fish to a serving plate and spoon the sauce on top. Serve with a green vegetable.



    
 

1 comment:

Cookie said...

I agree! I love the look on people's faces as they're enjoying the food I prepared for them. (Well, only if they're enjoying it NOT spitting it out!)

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.