03 April 2012

Cacio e Pepe for Breakfast



I'm not one to buy cookbooks. With all of the amazing food blogs on the internet, who needs another cookbook? But I was drawn to My Father's Daughter by Gwyneth Paltrow since I first heard about it.

Some reviews mentioned how 'simple' the recipes are. I figured, that's my kind of meal: simple and easy everyday recipes. So I decided to buy it when I became face to face with it while shopping the other day.



To keep extra simple, I decided to prepare Cacio e Pepe as the first recipe I'd try from the book. The truth is that I haven't been grocery shopping in a while, so I needed a recipe that would use whatever little ingredients I had left. 

Since it was 9 a.m. when I started experimenting, I decided to add a poached egg to the dish, so it would feel like breakfast rather than lunch. I'm an eggs-in-the-morning type of person.

Gwyneth mentions that she likes to enjoy it with a big glass of wine. Since I don't like wine (I'm a beer gal) and it was only 10 a.m., I enjoyed mine with a warm cup of English Breakfast Tea with milk and brown sugar.


 

 I woke up early to a field covered in fog. The sun peeking from the back of the land gave it a very surreal look.  

 

Turnips taste great with the same sauce I used for this recipe. Also try them with Spinach Pesto. Just steam or boil them until tender and top with the sauce.


 

This hazy summer view in the early morning makes me happy.


  
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
(serves four) 

1 pound of Spaghetti (I used whole wheat)
2 tbsp Olive Oil
about 2/3 cup of grated Parmesan Cheese
about 2/3 cup of Pecorino Cheese
a big pinch of freshly ground Black Pepper
about 1/4 cup of Pasta Water


-Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted water until al dente.

-While the pasta is cooking, mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl. When the pasta is done, add the 1/4 cup of pasta water. You may need to add a bit more to thin out the sauce. 

-Drain the pasta, but DO NOT discard the water. Incorporate the sauce into the pasta and set aside while you prepare the eggs.

-Using the leftover pasta water, poach one egg per person and serve on top of the pasta. 





Pasta Cacio e Pepe

2 comments:

kankana said...

The photo of that field is gorgeous .. so dreamy and quiet!

dessert girl said...

Now I know what to do with that extra egg in my fridge!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.