07 April 2012

Blue Cheese Dressing



I made it a point to eat more salads this summer. It's only April, but the temperatures are already high here in Florida. Cold and raw salads is what seems appropriate for the weather.

Unfortunately, the veggies are only an excuse to eat more of this perfect Blue Cheese Dressing. Tangy and very mild, exactly what I was craving.  


 

I used to hate Blue Cheese. The first time I ever had something like it was a few years ago when I brought a piece of Gorgonzola home. I didn't know what it was, but the name sounded like a mild and creamy cheese to me. It was not! I could not stand the smell as soon as I opened the container. Years later, that was my first clue why the cheese was so bad: it came in a container! Shame on me for buying cheap cheese. 

Now, I know better. I gave Blue Cheese another chance and now I love it.  


 


I mentioned on another post that I bought My Father's Daughter by Gwyneth Paltrow. I've planned my entire next week based on recipes from the book. I already tried a version of her Cacio e Pepe. This would be the second recipe. 

I like the book because all the recipes are perfect for everyday meals, not elaborate recipes that take hours to prepare.

I'll be sharing many more!





*Note: This is not the exact recipe. I made two changes. I used yellow onion instead of shallot and rice vinegar instead of red wine vinegar. Also, start by adding half the amount of water first, then keep adding water depending on how thick you want the dressing to be. 


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(makes 1 1/2 cups)

1/3 cup Sour Cream
1/3 cup Vegenaise
1/2 cup Gorgonzola Cheese, crumbled (any Blue Cheese will work)
1/3 cup Cold Water
1 tbsp Rice Vinegar
1/4 cup very finely sliced Yellow Onion
big pinch of Black Pepper
big pinch of coarse Salt

-Cut the onion very thinly in small pieces. Crumble the cheese, and put them in a small bowl with the onion. 

-Add the rest of the ingredients (but only half the water). Whisk together. Keep adding water depending on how thick you want the dressing to be.

-Store in the fridge for a few hours for all the flavors incorporate. If you can't wait, just serve! 





 

3 comments:

kankana said...

Here is the thing.. i still do not like blue cheese. may be your recipe will help me change my mind:)

vianney said...

So glad you gave blue cheese another try!! Your pics are stunning!
thanks for stopping by my blog.

Cooking Rookie said...

wonderful recipe! Yummmmm

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.