13 March 2012

Natilla with Maple Almonds



 

I have been missing in action for the past week. The lack of posts doesn't mean that I haven't been cooking. In fact, I've been cooking and experimenting more than ever. 

A month ago I went to Whole Foods for the first time. I know that for many people, that's nothing exciting, but for me it really is. Because we don't have a store like that back home. 

During my most recent trip, I bought fresh Soba Noodles. Which I cooked with a simple Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry. It was delicious, and I will share the recipe very soon. 

 

 

I've been preoccupied with life, which explains my lack of posts. But today I decided to experiment with shooting in full manual mode. I know that's scary for most people, it is for me. But I felt encouraged to try it by an article I read over the weekend.

After a few practice shots, trying different aperture/shutter speed combinations, I was able to almost get a correct exposure. With some tweaks in Lightroom, I think they turned out pretty good. I think I'll be shooting manual from now on. Keeping the aperture mode as a 'safety mode'.

To make the transition easier, I decided to prepare a dish that I love: Natilla. Is traditionally Spanish, in Puerto Rico we have adopted the dish as a breakfast option. It tastes very similar to Vanilla Pudding, in fact it's almost the same preparation, but with less corn starch.  


 

The Maple Almonds were really easy to prepare. I made mine with Maple Butter, but you can use Maple Syrup as well (just don't add the splash of water). 

The almonds were sticky and sweet, perfect as a topping with a breakfast feel to it.  


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
For the Natilla
1 cup of Whole Milk
2 Egg Yolks
3 tbsp of Sugar (or to taste)
1.5 tbsp Corn Starch
a pinch of Salt
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
-Whisk all ingredients in a small sauce pan (except the vanilla). Make sure the corn starch is completely dissolved. Cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, when the Natilla starts to thicken, remove from heat and mix in the vanilla extract. Serve Warm.


For the Maple Almonds
*If using Maple Syrup, don't add the splash of water.  

1/3 cup Slivered Almonds 
1 tbsp Maple Butter
a pinch of cinnamon or cardamom 
1 tsp of Water


-Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan, over medium heat, cook until the maple butter has caramelized. Let it cool a bit, the almonds will be covered in candy and it will get hard. Careful, it's very hot. Garnish the Natilla with the almonds.



6 comments:

Reem | Simply Reem said...

Beautiful Recipe!!!
Girl I am so impressed that you clicked in manual mode... I am still very scared to go the full way.
The pics have come out really nice, great job!!

B/W I am so happy to see this post I missed your posts....

Jesica @ Pencil Kitchen said...

I love everything about this! It's the first time i've seen this sort of dessert but i can imagine how everything works well around each other. Love the spoons and the little containers too! :)

lo said...

I like your blog very much. You’re doing great photos.

Divya said...

That natilla looks gorgeous! I'm yet to try shooting in manual mode, I'm so used to aperture mode that I don't even give manual a chance :). Someday I will!

Tamara said...

Hey, thank you for leaving a comment on my blog, through which I discovered your beautiful blog! I am glad to follow you.
This type of custard is often made in Croatia, we simply call in "vanilla custard". And maple almonds on top are such a great idea. Beautiful!

SONIA said...

Enhorabuena por la receta, se ve rica y deliciosa y sobre todo, por tu blog, me encanta, tienes unas recetas que me han encantado. Me hago seguidora tuya. Si quieres puedes pasarte por mi blog
http://a-pedir-de-boca.blogspot.com/ y si te gusta me dejas un comentario, te haces seguidor, lo que tu desees.
Besos.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.