28 February 2012

Chilean Empanadas





When it comes to food, I'm always up for anything. The other day my rommate's Mom prepared what I'd been craving for years: Chilean Empanadas.

They're from Chile, but have been living in Puerto Rico and the US for most of their lives. I'm glad for that, otherwise I wouldn't have met my Bestfriend and we wouldn't be living together now.

Other than the culinary benefits I get from our different nationalities, I've been also exposed to a different culture. From food, customs, manners and way of living, everything is different. The only thing we have in common is the language: Spanish. But even some words are different.

I hope you make these Empanadas and enjoy them as much as I did. I may have eaten three...



We used prepared dough, already shaped. Goya is the best brand. If you want to prepare it yourself, click here for the recipe.) The dough was meant for frying but it worked perfectly for baking as well. We think it's because it has more fat. Dough meant for baking turns out flakier, but this one was crispier.

Folding is very easy. Just fill the center with meat, make a half moon, fold one side, then fold the other and fold the top. It should be square, not round. But it tastes delicious no matter what shape. 



You'll need:

  • Empanada dough
  • 2 large onions, chopped
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chile powder
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup chopped olives
  • 2 hard boiled eggs, sliced
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • Salt and Pepper

Preparation:

-Cook the beef with the chopped onions, salt, pepper, raisins,paprika, chili and cumin, in a little oil. Then let it come to room temperature.

-Fill the empanada dough as shown in the picture above, put two whole olives on top of the beef and a slice of hard boiled egg.

-Beat the egg and milk together. With a pastry brush apply some of the mixture on the edges of the dough. Fold the dough as shown in the picture above. Making a half moon, the start folding the sides and finish with the top. Make it square, instead of the traditional round shape. Brush a bit more of the egg and milk mixture. Place it on a baking dish and prepare the rest.

-Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees. 

-I like to serve them with fresh parsley and onion on the side.   




13 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

looks fabulous deliciously done

Natasha @Bite and Sip said...

I have never had authentic empanadas, i should give them a try. Looks simple, yet delicious

Reem | Simply Reem said...

Delicious!!!
This is just so perfect...
I love empanada, so trying this recipe next time I make them.

Vicki Bensinger said...

These look delicious! Your photos are so beautiful, I really need to take a class.

Pam Rauber said...

Your styling and photography skills are brilliant.
Great work. This dish sounds great.

soychilenayque said...

Being my empanadas, simply the BEST in the whole wide world; I'd like to add, that before making the "pino"(filling), it's best to sauté the onnion until is transparent and add some sugar, then rinse the whole thing in cold water, drain well, and start sautéing again..after that feel free to start your pino (add the meat and spices)
or if that{s too much work, right after you chop the onions add salt and sugar to them; squeeze the chopped onions in a colander under running cold water, drain and then start sautéing.
Why do I say all this...because you don't want to be burping right after you eat an empanada, or if you have problems with acid reflux, you don't want to have a horrible heartburn...that will take away all the beauty out of eating empanadas!

{Epicurean Mom} said...

These are perfect! Love the flavors!

Clara Gonzalez said...

I am not a beef lover, but I have to admit that that looks awesome.

Charissa said...

These look absolutely delicious...true comfort food.

I just wanted to thank you so much for the kind, sweet comment you gave me on my Grandma's passing. I really do appreciate it!

Bryan & YiRan said...

We love empnadas but have never made them at home. If we can find the goya wraps we'll use them, but the dough recipe doesn't look to tricky either!

Danelle said...

These look delicious. And your photography is just great!

TROTAMUNDOS said...

Delicious, love the flavors!

XX

Fran Amenábar Ch. said...

I was surprise of how many recipes are in foodgowker with chilean recipes, uploeaded by users that aren't chilean. I'm chilean and its make me feel proud of our cousine... although we don't have a unique or special one like in Peru. But the empanadas are really great... jejej
:)

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.