30 January 2012

Wooden Background for Food Photography



Don't be like me! Do NOT photograph fresh Pomegranates on this surface without protection between the two. It will stain!


Since I had to leave all my backgrounds back home (Puerto Rico) because they were too big to bring with me, I wanted to recreate at least one of them.  

I already published a tutorial (see it here) a while ago. That background was very easy to build, but I  wanted it to be easier this time. Since it's not a functional tabletop, I could just glue everything together. If you want a tougher surface, build this one.

This tutorial is for a 16 x 16 inch table top. I used wood sticks like the one you'd find in a hardware store for gardening. the rest of the materials, you can find them in the art section of any store. Total cost is about $10. 
You don't necessarily need to mix the paint with water, I do it because it's easier to glide the paint brush that way and the wood will absorb paint anyway. But more paint than you think you'll need if you are not mixing it with water.

See the background in use on this post

(Sorry that the below pictures are so ugly. It was late, with very little light available)




What you'll need: 

1. White Paint / 2. Paint Brush / 3. Wood Glue / 4. White Foam Board / 5. One-inch wooden sticks (from the hardware store)

How to:
1. Glue the wood sticks together side by side. Also apply glue on the bottom, to glue them to the white foam board as well. /  2. Let the glue dry completely (about 3 hours).
1. Place two ounces of white paint in a plastic container, mix with one ounce of water and mix well. / 2. Immediately start painting the surface. Apply as many coats as it's necessary waiting 15 minutes between coats.  / 3. Let the paint dry completely before using the surface.









12 comments:

Nisha said...

In food photography, it always, always, always beats me how bloggers sprinkle spices or drop syrups, etc on their surfaces for photos - how do they clean it afterward?!
especially when the strong turmeric powder leaves stains, or a soup dripped on wooden painted surface ... just how much effort goes into cleaning later?!
I'd like to drop stuff around for photos too!! Hehe :D

Yadsia @ShopCookMake said...

@ Nisha:

I used to ask myself the same thing. What I do is clean it with a soapy damp cloth, then let it dry. If the stain is too bad, then paint over it again.

Heidi @ Food Doodles said...

This is awesome! I can't wait to make some for myself :D

Miss Lou said...

Good idea, IM always looking for new bgs!

Torviewtoronto said...

Lovely post

erin said...

Thanks for you post! I go crazy looking for suitable surfaces to take food photos too!

I love the texture and colour of the box you found in your mushroom and rice soup post :)

Jenny @ Savour the Senses said...

I am in the same boat. I just moved from Colorado to Hawaii and had to start from scratch for my food photo things! Just picked up some fabric samples today from WalMart for napkin backgrounds but still need a surface, this is perfect thanks!

Jenny @ Savour the Senses said...

I am in the same boat. I just moved from Colorado to Hawaii and had to start from scratch for my food photo things! Just picked up some fabric samples today from WalMart for napkin backgrounds but still need a surface, this is perfect thanks!

squirrelbread said...

Ironic that I have *all* of those ingredients sitting in my garage right now to complete this project! Well, all but the foam board, but I'm definitely going to buy one now, as my slats are quite thin and probably need some support. Thanks!

Cheers,

*Heather*

Kat said...

I've always wondered about this! I neeeeed this!

Naomi said...

What a fantastic idea!! I get tired of shooting on the same color background all the time, I could make several of these in different colors!

Yadira said...

This is an awesome idea! I have to try it some day.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.