20 January 2012

Raw Slaw Salad with Molasses Dressing... and life in Florida





I've been living in Florida for over a week now, still trying to adjust to my new life.  It's so much different than Puerto Rico. I'm a city girl at heart, I was raised in the middle of the metropolitan area of the island: cars, noise, people and dirt. 




That picture you see above, is my new backyard. A world of difference! The views around here are incredibly beautiful, but everything is 30 minutes away. 
 
 

There are cows everywhere! Those you see in the photos, live in my yard. My roommate owns a ten acre land, so she lets the neighbor's cows roam the land to keep it in good use.  I have to keep an eye on them every time I want to get out of the house because they run (fast!). Did you know cows can run? I didn't.



One thing that I'm truly amazed by, is the incredible light. There is only one window in my room, but very bright and soft light comes through it all day long. Perfect for food photography! 

This recipe will let you know that I really haven't had much time to cook these past few days. Salads and quick dishes have become part of my daily diet. Which is a good thing, after all. 

This easy Raw Slaw Salad isn't exactly quick to prepare, but you can make a big batch then eat it during the week. It keeps fresh for five days. The true star is the dressing, though. It's sweet and thick, perfect for a slaw. 



                                                                   ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
 

Recipe How to...

-Prepare your favorite slaw salad any way you want to. I used raw broccoli, raw carrots and cabbage. Simply shredded the veggies using a food processor, but kept a few broccoli florets intact. Then added some dried cranberries and sun flower seeds. Mixed it all in a bowl and set it aside to prepare the dressing. 

-For the dressing, you'll need one cup of mayonnaise, two tablespoons of molasses, 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and three tablespoons of granulated sugar. Whisk everything together in a bowl and pour over the veggies.


6 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

lovely post delicious salad looks wonderful

Nicole said...

That is such beautiful scenery, the kind that makes your jaw drop in awe… and your salad is just as beautiful. I love the cows, too!

movita beaucoup said...

1. Good luck in your new home, with your new life!
2. I can't believe you have cows in your yard.
3. I can't believe you didn't know cows could run.

That's all.

xox

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

wow, what a fantastic view u have! those cows look so majestic (i did know cows run, :D ) so unlike cows in this part of the world... a very refreshing salad too

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking about That Auction and you’ve really helped out. Thanks!

Charissa said...

Mmmm, I love homemade cole slaw. The storebought stuff always has waaaay too much dressing...

Looks great!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.