03 January 2012

Nutella and Mashed Potato Cupcakes






Yes, you read correctly: Nutella and Mashed Potato Cupcakes. They're delicious!

I saw a similar recipe on another blog, but can't remember which one. Silly me, I didn't save the link, just copied the recipe. So if you recognize it, please let me know so I can give proper credit.  Although, it's not the exact same one.

This is a version of the Mashed Potato Cupcake. There are quite a few around the blogosphere.


 

Today I learned a very valuable photography lesson: to always check for charged batteries.

After taking only four pictures, the camera died. So, what you see is what I was able to photograph. No second takes, no playing around with props. A lot of post-processing, though.  



I was pleasantly surprised with the texture. It's not so much like a normal cupcake, but it's also not like a muffin. It's kind of in between those two. Crumbly, dense and moist, all the same time. 

These are also not too sweet, which is great. Because you can top them with extra Nutella to make them look pretty.


 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~   


What you'll need...

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tbsp Nutella
1 tsp vanilla extract (or vanilla seeds)
1/3 cup mashed potatoes (see first step)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup whole milk
2 eggs



How to..

-Cook a small potato. Peel it, then mash it until there are no lumps. Measure a third cup, let it cool completely. Set aside. 
-Preheat oven to 350.  Line cupcake tins with papers and set aside. 
-Whisk together flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt.  Set aside. 
-In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together, then add mashed potatoes and nutella.  Whip until fluffy. 
-In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together.  Add the flour and egg/milk mixture to the batter alternately, beginning and ending with flour. Mixture will be thick. 
-Fill muffin tins 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 15-18 minutes. 
-Spread some Nutella on top for extra sweetness.



 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~   

15 comments:

Shumaila said...

These look absolutely delectable! I always am amazed at the things the food blogging community keeps coming up with. Mashed potato and nutella- no way I could have come up with that. Thanks for sharing! Lovely photos!

Sara said...

Hmmm...it's a little unusual, but i can believe it's "crazy enough it just might work." I'm thinking of potato bread, and how it's moister and with a more cakey crumb than regular bread; all qualities you'd want in a cupcake, right?

Natasha @Bite and Sip said...

The title of the post scared me a little bit, as I thought there is nothing but mashed potato. Pictures are lovely as always. I have had and made mashed potato based savory breads but would never come up with such an idea to make sweet cupcakes. Very curious now

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

i have never heard if mashed potato cupcake! looks so good with that yummy nutella icing

Mai said...

hmmm one word. PERFECTION!!

movita beaucoup said...

Wait, wait, wait. So you've had a DSLR for like, five minutes, and... well, your talent is making me sick. I can't wait to see what you'll be up to in 2012 (with fully charged batteries).

Heidi @ Food Doodles said...

Oooh, these are so pretty! I've never used potato in muffins or cupcakes(only in yeast breads) but I'm guessing the texture is great! They look delicious, especially with a little nutella on top :D

Agus :) said...

I come across your blog just a minute ago! I am so glad I found your blog! your photos are amazing! are you still shooting with a simple Point & Shoot camera? (I readed it in an older post...)
Love your blog! Congrats!
Greeting from Argentina
Agus

rabbittrick said...

so strange! But if it's something I learnt, it's to never doubt complex carbohydrates and their ability to mix well with sweet. There's a chinese dessert called Bo Bo Cha Cha that is an excellent use of yam.

Naomi said...

Ok, this is weird, but I'm definitely curious!! These may be in my (very near) future...

beti said...

they look so beautiful and delicious!

Nicole @ Bake Me Blush said...

Mashed potatoes in cupcakes? That sounds so crazy that it's probably amazing - what an intriguing idea. And of course, your photography is always incredible.

Viv said...

hahhaa i had to re-read your title a few times to make sure i got it right! this is def new to me but i love zuchinni and carrot cake..so im guessing using vegetables in baking isn't too weird ;)

your photos are great - you gotta share a tip or two with me, my first-take photos can never look lik ethese! hahah

happy new year (altho belated!) yadi! here's to another year of food blog :)

Chocolate Shavings said...

LOVE the nutella on top - these look and sound delicious!

Zoe said...

I can't stop admiring all your beautiful pictures. I would love to follow your blog for more of your "beautiful" cooking

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.