24 January 2012

Mushroom and Rice Soup




One the biggest issues I had during the first few months of blogging was 'propping'. It was such a foreign concept to me. Yes, I knew that food needed to served in plates with flatware and napkins on a table, but that was it.

It wasn't until I started really looking at other people's pictures that I noticed how the right props could make a photograph.

When I moved to FL, almost two weeks ago, I had to leave most of my props back home in Puerto Rico, especially the backgrounds (they were to big to carry or ship). It was a hard decision because my Grandpa helped me build those wooden backgrounds that used as tabletops.

Then, I was lucky enough to find the old wooden box you see in these pictures. I was playing with the cows for the first time, when I saw it. I like the rustic, cattle ranch look it has to it.  

What's your favorite prop?

   
 

This soup is hearty and very flavorful. It has become one of my favorites. You can use spinach instead of kale, any leafy green would work perfectly.

Also, barley instead of brown rice is a nice substitution. 

Make sure to cook the veggies very slowly over low heat, it'll bring out the deep flavors. 

 
 

I found this little creature the other day almost by accident. I was eating a tangerine in the porch when I saw a very bright something jump up. Don't be fooled by the picture, it's actually a very tiny frog (less than an inch).

He was nice enough to pose for a quick picture. 



~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
(serves two)

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Brown Rice
4 to 5 cups Vegetable Stock 
1/4 cup chopped Onion
about 3 tbsp chopped Green Bell Pepper
1 Garlic clove, chopped
2 tbsp Olive Oil
8 ounces of Mushrooms, chopped
3 ounces of Ham, cubed
3/4 cup of Kale, finely chopped
1/4 cup Wine
Salt and Pepper
fresh flat Leaf Parsley

-Boil the rice in 4 cups of stock, uncovered until tender (about 45 minutes)
-Meanwhile, chop the veggies and ham.
-In a skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion, garlic and bell pepper. Cook over medium heat until brown.
-Add the mushrooms and ham. Season with salt and pepper immediately. Turn down the heat. Cook for 5 minutes, uncovered.
- Add the kale. Stir and cook for 3 minutes, covered.
-Add the wine, cook for another 10 minutes over very low heat, covered, then turn off the heat and keep it covered.
-When the rice is cooked, the stock should have reduced by almost half. Add the veggies, turn heat to medium. Cook for 5 minutes. You can add more stock at this point if you want. Sprinkle parsley on top.   


 

5 comments:

Naomi said...

This looks heavenly. I always love how you put together your photos. I think, looking through my photos, my favorite prop must be my antique kitchen table - partly because it's in an area that gets the best light in our house!

Ms Bibi said...

It looks wonderful. I just got a new camera for Xmas to bring my food blog to the next level, but I have so much to learn. I just wish I had more time.

Your pictures are gorgeous.

Anne-Marie @ This Mama Cooks! said...

This looks yummy and healthy too. Need to try it on my kids as all they want to do is eat soup lately.

Bread & Oil said...

I love soups in autumn and this one looks great.

Paula @ Spoons 'n' Spades said...

What a delicious looking soup, and I love your frog photograph. So nice of him to pose for you :-))

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.