13 December 2011

Vegan Coconut & Vanilla Panna Cotta



 

In Puerto Rico, Christmas tastes like Coconut.

Many of our traditional Holiday dishes are made with coconut milk: Coquito, Arroz con Dulce and Tembleque.

I keep cooking with coconut milk, trying to savor it all before I move to Florida in January.
 

 


Today I wrapped my Niece's Christmas gifts. We're sending her so many things. She is going to be the happiest 4-year-old in Alabama.

It's nice to get to play Santa this year. She is old enough to really enjoy Christmas. Even though, I barely see her because we live in different countries, I know that I can make her happy that way. 
 

 

This Vegan Coconut and Vanilla Panna Cotta, is obviously not the real thing.

I played a little with the ingredients to make it Vegan, but keep the creamy texture. It tastes warm and sweet, just like the traditional version.

The vegan gelatin substitute I used, was a prepackaged mix I got at the supermarket. If you don't care to make it vegan use regular gelatin instead (one tablespoon).   

Cooking Tip: After adding the vegan gelatin substitute to the mix, don't wait more than three minutes before pouring the mix into the mold. It sets quickly!




 

11 comments:

Nadia said...

Hey, that's exactly like my panna cotta from last year :)))

http://natureinsider.com/2011/01/almost-raw-panna-cotta-cream/

Linda Wagner - Nutrition to Invigorate Mind, Body and Spirit said...

Oh.My.Goodness. This looks amazing!! I can't believe how simple it is too! I'm excited to try!

Purabi Naha said...

Finally a panna cota meant for Vegans! I loved the recipe and loved your presentation too!

Richa said...

yummm! lovely presentation!

JavelinWarrior said...

I SOOO wanted to try Coquito while on my trip in Puerto Rico, but it didn't happen :( This looks like another amazing recipe and I hope you don't mind but I'm so inspired I've included this post in my Friday Food Fetish roundup. Thanks for sharing and MOAR please :)

Anonymous said...

I want to know where you find the cute little jars to cook it in?!

Yadsia @ShopCookMake said...

I bought them on Etsy.com Can't remember what they're called.

Love and other Spices said...

Hi Yadsia,good to know that you come from a coconut background too :)love coconut and grew up with it.We use coconut in all forms in our cooking.Can't wait to try this panna cotta as it looks so simple.

Vanessa said...

This sounds sooo good! And the photos, stunning!

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

oh what a pretty pretty colour! looks awesome :)

ARaims said...

Please can you tell me how many people this will serve? Thank you.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.