04 December 2011

Making Lemon Pie with my Aunt




My Aunt Minin holding the gorgeous Lemon Pie she baked.


Sorry Titi, you know it's true... 

She may not be able to make a decent Arroz Blanco, but she can bake a mean Pie.

My Aunt is one of those people who can produce the most amazing, magazine-looking desserts with no effort. On the other side, I'm a terrible baker. Those genes were not handed down to me.

I burn breads, and cookies end up with a cake-like texture. Not good.



 
   
Today I tried to recreate the recipe. It was good, not great. 

Considering that I only had brown sugar (which resulted in a beige colored Meringue) and I added way to much corn starch to the lemon curd, it was still good. 

 

She always gets her recipes from old books. 


The photos are from day she baked the Pie, not from the Pie I baked.




for the crust
  • 1.5 cups of All-Purpose Flour (I used flour for making bread)
  • 1/2 cup Vegetable Shortening 
  • 3 tbsp very cold Water
-Mix the flour and shortening in a bowl (using your hands). You'll get a grainy dough.
-Start adding the water a tablespoon at a time, until you have a uniform dough. 
-Roll out with a rolling pin into a 12 inch circle. Place it in the bottom of your baking dish. Put it in the freezer while the oven heats up. 
-Bring the oven to 350 degrees and bake the dough for 15-20 minutes (until golden). Reserve.
for the custard
  • 1.5 cups of Water
  • 6 tbsp of fresh squeezed Lemon Juice
  • the zest of one Lemon
  • 1 cup of Sugar
  • 1/4 cup Corn Starch
  • 4 Egg Yolks
  • 2 tbsp Butter

-Whisk everything in a sauce pan. Cook over low heat until thick. Check if you need to add more corn starch, the custard should not be watery. 
-Pour over the crust. Set aside.


for the meringue
  • 4 Egg Whites (room temperature)
  • 8 tbsp Sugar
-Beat the egg whites for 2 minutes, until they formed into a white froth. Add the sugar.
-Beat at high speed until the mixture is thick and glossy (about 5 minutes).
-Spoon over the custard.
-Bake for 10 minutes at 300 degrees.
   

7 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

pie looks fabulous lovely pictures

movita beaucoup said...

Oh how I love to stop by and see what you've been up to...

Yadira said...

OMG! Lemon Meringue pie is my favorite dessert ever. Se ve que tu tití sabe lo que hace. <3

Karisha {Ruborosa Blog} said...

The pie looks amazing! And the pictures are lovely as always.
Cariños! Xo

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) said...

Lemon Meringue pie is on my list of foods to make this year. I have NEVER made it and the year is almost over. I think I just may try it this weekend. Do you think it would work with Meyer lemons? I have some beauties in the house. Or am I better off with regular lemons?

Yadsia @ShopCookMake said...

@Rivki:
You can use any lemon variety that you can find. Limes work just as well!

Cooking Rookie said...

It's a beautiful pie! I love that beige meringue :-), isn't it supposed to brown up while baking anyway? It looks so light and delicate and delicious! I just discovered your blog today, but I already subscribed both on the site and on twittter and pinterest, and added you to my favorite food blog board there. I love your photography and there are several recipes that I just must try. I'll be coming here often. Thanks for a beautiful site!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.