20 December 2011

Jewish Apple Cake


Is it January yet?

That has been the burning question this week. I can't wait for Christmas to end. Please, I swear, I'm not a grinch.

There is still so much to do, so many presents to buy and people to see. What is supposed to be a happy time, can quickly turn into a stressful experience. 

The lack of posts prove how busy I've been. 

My Dad and Stepmom came here for the holidays, before moving to Spain. My Bestfriend arrives on Thursday (the one I'm moving to Florida with). You can see now how things can get busy very quickly. 


I baked this cake because I was craving something sweet and wintery. Plus, needed something to get my mind off things.

Even though there is no real winter in Puerto Rico, temperatures do drop to the low 70's in December. Which is a great excuse to bake and experiment with soups.  

Do you know what makes this cake Jewish? I have no idea. If you know, please tell me.

This is one of those cakes that get better every time you make it. It has a rich texture that comes from the cream cheese. The spicy, warm flavor comes from the cinnamon and vanilla bean. 



Torviewtoronto said...

happy holidays
cake looks wonderful deliciously done

squirrelbread said...

A-men to that! Few people love Christmas more than me, I'm sure of it, but this year has a Scrooge-y twinge to it. My husband and I have just moved into a new home after the wedding in October, both have full-time+ jobs, are trying to finish shopping for Christmas between parties and lack of an Internet cable laid in our subdivision, and travels home for a long weekend to include nearly ten celebrations. Whew! In the end, I'm sure it'll be worth it. Too bad I won't have a slice of that cake to calm my nerves before heading home! Looks marvelous.

Cheers and Happy Christmas,


Yadsia @ShopCookMake said...


First, I love that nickname. I totally understand what you're going through. Hopefully next year, there will be peace.

Megan said...

Found your post on Tastespotting. I love your blog and your photos are lovely! Hope you enjoy the Christmas season. Feel free to pop over and say hi or subscribe sometime at www.scrambledmegs.com
I am always looking for new friends, especially if they are into food!

Sara said...

These are beautiful photos--I love the linens--and this cake looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

The cake looks delicious. About the "Jewish" part -- it looks like the recipe has changed a lot, but the name stuck. Jewish dietary laws prohibit eating dairy products (or anything that contains dairy products) with a meat meal, or for several hours after eating a meat meal. Therefore, many desserts and cakes have been adapted so they use oil instead of butter. The classic "Jewish" apple cake recipe does just that. I think your recipe must have gone through a lot of hands, and somehow dairy products were added back in, but the name stuck. Well that's okay ... looks like a great cake!

Cooking Rookie said...

Lovely lovely cake! I bet you can eat it warm, right? I have a cold -such a great timing for the holidays - so my plans of making fancy mousse cakes, panna cotta, etc are on hold, and now I am looking for warm dessert recipes. I think this cake would be just great. I'd only have to skip the cinnamon ;-).
Happy Holidays, Yadsia!

Yadsia @ShopCookMake said...

@Cooking Rookie:
Warm is even better! Enjoy.

Cooking Rookie said...

So I made this cake, right after I left that comment :-), I just kept thinking about it and could not resist.. It was so easy to make, I popped it into the oven before dinner, and when we were ready for dessert the cake was ready for us :-). It is absolutely wonderful, soft, moist, not too sweet, a bit tangy from the apples and the cottage cheese.... Love it. The problem is - half of it is already gone :-(
Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

Shumaila said...

The cake looks heavenly. I have been craving for an apple cake. Definitely will be making this. Happy New Year!

Linda from NJ said...

I have this in the oven now and it smells heavenly! The batter tasted incredible and I can't wait for the cake to cool so I can have a slice. I love that this is made with cream cheese ... it adds so much more to the recipe. Thanks for sharing. Great site too!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.