28 December 2011

Apples au Gratin



Those little black specks you see, are the Vanilla seeds from the bean.


The last days always go by so slowly...

Only two weeks before I move to Florida... I get so anxious every time it comes to mind.
 



People always worry so much about the 'What if?'. Right now, it's more about the 'What will?'.

What will I take with me?
What will happen if I don't find what I'm looking for?
What will I do with this Blog?
What will happen to it as life gets busier?

But I don't need to worry about that until January 11... 

Until then... lets keep cooking!


 

If Potatoes au Gratin are so delicious, I can only assume their apple counterpart would be just as. Right?

Turns out it is!

Such a simple and easy to make recipe that can be altered to meet any flavor palate you may be craving. 

Add cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, all spice... any spice you happen to have on hand is good. And be creative with herbs too. I used fresh oregano.




*Tip: Any baking dish works with this recipe. I used a big one, so the two apples were enough for only one layer. But the gratin can be as thick as you want it to be. Or you can even make individual ones.Just make sure the wet ingredients don't cover the apples completely, you want the top to brown. 

Also, add the seeds and vanilla bean to the dish, then remove the bean before serving.     



 

4 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious looking gratin
happy holidays

Torviewtoronto said...

Thank you Yadsia
I came back to make sure I was following you and realized I have for a while :)
I was quite excited to see that you made it 501 :) glad you are following me
Keep in touch regards Akheela

Elena -delicious stories said...

Qué rico se ve ese gratin!! Me encanta el toque de leche condensada :)
Te deseo un Feliz Año Nuevo y mucha suerte en tu mudanza a Florida!!!!
All the best :)

The Dinner Belle for Kimberlybelle.com said...

I make a potato gratin with apples! It is so good--potatoes, apples, caramelized onions, cheese, and cream. What could be better?! It is a perfect combo of sweet and savory and warm and cheesy.

The Dinner Belle for Kimberlybelle.com

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.