22 November 2011

Vegan Chocolate & Pumpkin Pudding



 

The holiday season can be a tricky time. At least for me it is. 

Years ago, my entire family lived here in Puerto Rico. Then, they started moving a few at a time. My Aunt and Cousins moved to Florida, my best friend did too. Then my Dad and Stepmom moved, first to the US, then to Italy, then back to the US, and now to Spain. My Brother also moved when he joined the NAVY. 

I can't complain, I've had amazing opportunities to visit them and travel. But during the holidays is tough. I was used to having big parties with a lot of people talking, eating and drinking. Those big parties have now reduced to only four of us.
   

 


Add to that, the fact that I don't eat meat. It's even harder, because Puertorrican holiday food revolves around meat. This Thursday, for Thanksgiving, I'm bringing my own dish to my Grandmother's house. I'm Veganizing a classic: Arroz con Gandules (Rice with Pigeon Peas).

I've introduced Vegetarian dishes to them in the past, but never a main dish during a big holiday. We'll see how it goes.





This Vegan Pudding is as comforting as desserts can be. But I'm not sharing it with anyone. Well, no one likes it anyway. My Mom hates Pumpkin, so I'll eat it all by myself. 




Ingredients
  • 1 cup Rice Milk
  • 1/4 cup Pumpkin Puree
  • 3 tbsp Cocoa Powder
  • Sugar, to taste
  • 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 4 to 6 tbsp Corn Starch (depending on how thick you you like Pudding)

Procedure
  • Whisk everything together in a sauce pan. 
  • Over medium heat, cook until it has thickened, whisking continuously (about 5 minutes).
  • Remove from heat. Refrigerate and eat cold. 

16 comments:

meesch said...

This sounds delicious, and easy! I've never made homemade pudding before, but I love that it's vegan! It's so hard to find good vegan sweets!

-meesch
http://www.aperfectkindofday.com

Torviewtoronto said...

this looks wonderful

movita beaucoup said...

1. This looks super tasty.
2. I'm dying to know how you're making out with your new camera! Please inform.

xox

Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul said...

Happy Holidays! This pudding looks absolutely fantastic, I'm definitely going to try it out for my next holiday party :)

Jesica @ Pencil Kitchen said...

you make me chubby and happy!

Roadhouse Roast said...

I think I need to make more custardy deserts like mum used to make. This recipe looks like a good one to start with.

scrambledmegs.com said...

holy moley, this looks amazing!

Juan said...

Amazing! This look dalicious! Cheers for this recipe..

Nicole said...

This looks absolutely delicious -- I never thought to have pumpkin and chocolate together, but it sounds brilliant.

Fash Boulevard said...

oh my goodness, this looks incredible. so glad I found your blog. definitely following. If you get a sec I'd love to hear what you think of my fashion blog. It's all about the adventures of a southern girl turned LA stylist. xo

www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

kankana said...

The husband doesn't like pumpkins and I cannot get enough of it :) This looks lovely and presented beautifully.

themustardseed said...

What a wonderful dessert. It is so healthy too. I have never used rice milk before and I think it is a great way to use pumpkin too!

Sarah B. said...

Very pretty as always. And looks delicious..Thanks!

Wendy (Healthy Girl's Kitchen) said...

Your photography is incredible. A total delight. It's the first time I'm here.

Stewart said...

Can you share the Arroz con Gandules recipe ... that really sounds fascinating (I'm not a pudding fan).

Divya | flavourfiesta said...

This looks lovely, Yadsia! I've had some pumpkin lying around at home and wanted to make something sweet with it. Sounds like a great idea to try out!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.