11 November 2011

A Bowl of Corn Cakes and Pan-Fried Apples




  
Test line 

Finally, after so much waiting, I got a new camera. I'm still trying to figure it out, though. There is so much one can do with a DSLR.

I got the Canon T2i with a 50mm 1.8 lens. Originally, I bought the Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens, but I didn't like it. I had read so much about how amazing that lens is, and how it is the lens for food photography. But I found myself standing 10 feet from a plate of hard boiled eggs, and still it wouldn't fit into the frame.

Today, I'm sending it back.  




For anyone out there who is debating getting a DSLR, do it. It's worth the money invested... every cent of it.

I'm sure that after I finish reading the manual, and get myself used to the new camera, you'll start seeing better photos on this Blog.  




It was raining so much this morning, that all I could think about was a bowl of warm anything. 

Since it was still breakfast time, I decided to experiment a little with Corn Cakes and use up the last Apple in the fridge.

A bit of this, a dash of that, and they came out perfect. 
 




feeds two people


for the Corn Cakes (makes four)
  • 1/2 cup Corn Meal
  • 1/3 cup Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder
  • 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
  • 1 Egg
  • 1/2 cup Rice Milk
  • dash of Salt

-Whisk everything together in a bowl. Let it rest 5 minutes.
-Meanwhile, heat a griddle with some butter. Fry the Corn Cakes 3 minutes per side.

for the Apples
  • 1 Apple
  • 2 tsp Brown Sugar
  • 1 tbsp Butter
  • 1 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract

-Cut the apple into wedges. Cover with the cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar and vanilla.
-In a skillet melt the butter and cook the apples until they have softened a bit. 
-Serve over the corn cakes.  


23 comments:

Jesica @ Pencil Kitchen said...

Panfried apples with corn cakes.... hmmmm what a breakfast!

Tina said...

That looks really good!

movita beaucoup said...

But, but... wait! You were shooting with a point-an-shoot? You are living proof of gorgeous photography without a DSLR! That being said, I've got my first DSLR in my hands now, and I love it. The options are endless. If only I could figure out those options... I can only imagine what you're going to be producing. Enjoy!

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious looks wonderful lovely dessert

Nadia said...

Congratulations on the new camera! It's a whole new world out there with a DSLR, enjoy it!

P.S. I use 50 mm 1.8 lens too and I love it, I'm not giving it up for any macro lens ever...

Elena -delicious stories said...

Felicidades por la nueva cámara, yo soy de Nikon, pero la que te has comprado está muy bien también ;-)
Genial desayuno, me encanta, y preciosas las fotos, como siempre!

Kelvin Wu said...

I love the fork!

kankana said...

Good u mentioned about the macro lens.. i too heard that it's good and was infact thinking of buying one. I think I should be happy with my 50 mm :)

Yadira said...

This really looks good. I really can't imagine the combination of flavors though. You tend to help me visualize foods that are out of my comfort zone. Keep it up! ;D

leaf (the indolent cook) said...

A lovely breakfast! I'm still thinking about getting a DSLR... it does seem like a good investment!

Kelly said...

Beautiful photos. Enjoy that new camera. As mentioned earlier, it is amazing what great photos you took without it, too.

Shabs said...

Congratz on getting a DSLR but I thought you already had one coz your photographs are just amazing and now I am even more amazed that you shot them with a p&s camera , The apples and the corn cakes look gorgeous.

foodandtools.com said...

Good luck with the DSLR, love the photographs and the apples look great.

foodandtools.com said...

Good luck with the DSLR, you will really enjoy the new camera. Love the photographs and the apples look great.

Bad Joan said...

yum! sounds so good!

GTBB,
http://badjoan.blogspot.com
http://cookingjoan.blogspot.com

Reem | Simply Reem said...

Really beautiful recipe....
I love the pictures here so much my dear.
I too have DSLR Nikon, now I want to but some really good macro lens...
I am so confuse as everyone give a different suggestion, but in the end I feel what works best for you is good enough right..
Lemme know your experience with the new lens.

Divya Yadava said...

"But I found myself standing 10 feet from a plate of hard boiled eggs, and still it wouldn't fit into the frame." You're hilarious. It's so true though about those macro lenses.

I'm debating about switching to DSLR myself, but not sure which lens to get. The Canon 50 mm f/1.8 sounds good to me. Looking forward to more pictures from you!

Yadsia @ShopCookMake said...

@Divya:
I just ordered the 50mm Macro to see how it works for me. I read that I don't have to stand too far away for the subject. We'll see what happens.

erin @ yummy supper said...

Oh, have fun with your new camera! I totally remember the glee of getting my first DSLR. And it's so true what you said about lenses. You really have to find the one that suits your style. I do love the 50mm as well. I like to get nice and close to the subject.

Cheers,
Erin

Great blog and photos by the way. I'm so happy you left me a comment, so that I could find you.

MyFudo™ said...

What do you mean better photos? Your pictures are already crisp and clear...
I love the healthy and delicious post too! More power!

hemalata said...

Nice recipe n excellent presentation.

Tengo un horno y sé cómo usarlo said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, so I had the opportunity to discover yours. Good luck with your new camera. I have that 50mm 1.8 lens, and works great for food photo. Just practice, practice, practice.

Hugs from Spain

pay per head said...

excellent ingredients, it looks very tasty! thanks for having the time to put the ingredients

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.