09 October 2011

Making Crêpes with my Aunt





When I was a kid, I always knew who to go to whenever I wanted to eat dessert or a special treat: my Aunt. Food wasn't anything special for me until the day she brought an ice cream maker home, I was about 9 years old. I just couldn't believe that ice cream came from a machine like that.

It was big and heavy. The ones you had to put some ice and salt inside, in order for it to freeze the custard into ice cream. But we were having so much fun with it. I think that was the first time I realized that food didn't magically come from the supermarket aisle.





She is the Aunt I always go to when I need to prepare something delicious and different. Something that no one else will make. Her desserts always come out of the oven looking better than the ones in magazines, and they taste better too. One of these days I'll share her Key Lime Pie recipe with you. It's amazing!

Today we prepared Crêpes, filled with homemade Dulce de Leche that my Grandma made. I think she first tasted this dessert in a restaurant years ago, then came home and tried to replicate the flavors. I wish I could take credit for the perfect looking Crêpes above, but it was all her, I just took the pictures and did the styling.      



While cooking, we snacked on some Quenepas, pictured above. They're also known as Spanish Limes, but they taste nothing like a lime or lemon. They're fleshy, sweet and sour stone fruits, that grow in big trees in dry places. To eat one, you pick it from the tree, crack the fine outer skin with your teeth, and suck the pulp from the pit.




 makes 15-18 Crêpes

to make the Dulce de Leche

-In a pressure cooker, boil a 12 ounce can (an unopened can) of Condensed Milk for 45 to 60 minutes. If you don't have a pressure cooker, boil it for 3 to 4 hours. Let it come to room temperature before opening the can once done. Pour into a small dish and reserve for later.


to make the Batter

  • 1 1/2 cups of Milk
  • 1 cup all purpose Flour
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 tbsp Oil
  • 2 tbsp granulated Sugar (optional)


-In the blender, combine milk, flour, eggs, oil and sugar with a pinch of salt. Set aside. It thickens up more after a few minutes.


-Heat a lightly buttered skillet, once hot, spread about 1/4 cup of batter into a very thin layer. It'll cook very quickly. Then turn it, to brown the other side. 

-Using a spoon, put some of the Dulce de Leche in the middle of the Crêpe, then fold the sides in.


 

10 comments:

JavelinWarrior said...

The crepes look delicious, but I've got to admit, the Spanish Lime with half the rind removed is so cool and creative... :)

Yadira said...

Goodness! Those crêpes look YUMMY and dulce de leche is one of my favorites desserts EVER. I also need to comment on your quenepas, they look so juicy fleshy and tasty. Have an awesome week!

Ali said...

The crepes looks amazingly delicious. Nice background for the photo and i love the pink plate :)

Vicki Bensinger said...

Your crepes look delicious. I haven't made them in years but have seen posts about them recently. I will have to get my pan out and try yours. Along with some of the others I've seen. What a nice way to spend time with family. I he's to do the same with my grandmother!

kankana said...

It's been a while since i visited and I must say .. loving the new look :)
I love crepes but mostly savory ones. This will taste good .. i know. Mom Aunts .. their food always taste so much better :)

Galexi Cupcakes said...

Your blog came up in one of my google searches. The dulce de leche crepes caught my attention. I love crepes, I love DdeL and I definitely love quenepas! Whenever we visit Ponce, if they are available, we get some. I'm a new follower. Jackie

celine said...

oh these little quenepas look so intriguing!
beautiful pictures, Yadsia.

Karisha {Ruborosa Blog} said...

Funny, because just yesterday I was thinking about making crepes for Saturday's breakfast! ;)

Quenepas are the best!

lot's of XOXO!

Sarah Jane said...

Just stumbled across your blog, and I'm so excited to have found it! Your photos are gorgeous, and everything sounds so yummy. Quenepas look so intriguing, if only we had such fun fruit in Wisconsin, ha.

notablyindigo said...

This is the best crepe recipe I have ever used. The crepes came out soft and light with great texture, and browned beautifully. We ate ours with a squeeze of lemon and some powdered sugar, but I'm eager to try the Dulce de Leche as well. Thanks!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.