12 October 2011

Goat Cheese & Spinach Barley Risotto





I always thought of Barley as pig food. Something that I would feed to my pigs if I had a barn. 

That's probably because all my Barley references come from movies. Whenever someone is eating Barley in a movie, it's always the 'crazy vegetarian'. Which made me think that it was gross and tasteless. What's good about boiled Barley, anyway? Nothing.

A few days ago, I decided to pick up a box of Pearled Barley from the grocery store, to experiment a little with it. I didn't want to put the word 'salad' next to Barley. That would only reinforce the 'crazy vegetarian' image in my mind. So, no Barley Salad for me, please. 

Since Risotto is one of my favorite dishes, and there are thousands of Barley Risotto recipes on the internet, I settled on that. 

This recipe is creamy and very flavorful, exactly what I was craving. A combination of a few recipes. Barley does have a bit of a bite to it, more so that cooked rice.



serves 3

  • 1 cup Pearled Barley
  • 4 cups of Vegetable Stock
  • 2-3 handfuls of Spinach
  • 2 ounces of Goat Cheese
  • 1/3 cup chopped Onion
  • 2 cloves of Garlic, cut in half
  • 1 tsp dried Parsley
  • Salt & Pepper


-In a large pot, put the barley, 2 cups of stock, salt, pepper, onion, garlic and parsley. Cook over medium heat until the stock has almost evaporated.


-Reduce heat, add another cup of stock and stir. Stir every 5 minutes or so. Keep adding more stock until the barley is as creamy as you want it. You don't need to use the entire 4 cups of stock. 


-When there is about 1/4 cup of creamy liquid left, turn off the stove, add the spinach and cheese and stir until well incorporated. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve.
   

7 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

beautiful risotto

Karisha {Ruborosa Blog} said...

I so want to eat this right now! Looks and sounds amazing!

JavelinWarrior said...

My dad used to cook barley and wheat berries into a porridge for breakfast - I don't recommend. But your risotto looks positively scrumptious :)

celine said...

I love barley! I find that most bags of the stuff recommend too long a cooking time though, and it gets mushy and weird. I like mine to still have some kick and structure to it, so I usually just go for 20 to 23 minutes and it's perfect.

I really like the colorful napkin you used on this pic, it's gorgeous.

Naomi said...

I don't even know how you can eat it, it looks so beautiful!! You're amazing at food styling :)

nancybny said...

This looks fabulous - thanks!

Jesica @ pencil Kitchen said...

Barley risotto! Interesting!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.