27 October 2011

Cannellini Bean & Goat Cheese Tart w/ Oat Flour Crust




Have you seen the documentary Food Inc.? I just finished watching it, right before writing this post. Wow, I have no words. It was not my first food related documentary, but the images and message of this one, really stuck with me. I hope you have the chance to watch it and take in the message.

______________

   

Two days ago I made a huge pot of Cannellini beans because I was craving any type of bean dip. Then the image of warm dip inundated my mind. 

I was picturing a salty, crusty, warm dip for lunch. That image quickly turned into one of little tarts.

Experimenting with with different types of Gluten Free crusts has been fun. I get to play in the kitchen a lot. Oat Flour doesn't make a flaky crust, but is very flavorful and healthy. 



for the crust, makes about 8-9 tarts
You'll need either small tart pans, or a mini muffin pan to use as a mold.
 
  • 3/4 cup Oat Flour
  • 2 tsp Grapeseed Oil (or any other oil)
  • 2.5 tbsp cold Water
  • Salt, to taste

-Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until they're well incorporated and the dough isn't dry anymore. 

-Take about 2 teaspoons of dough in you hand and form a ball. Place in the mold and shape it with your fingers to fit the mold.

-Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. 

for the filling 
This will make more than what you actually need. Use the leftovers as dip or sandwich spread. 

  • 3/4 cup Cannellini beans, cooked
  • 2 ounces of Goat Cheese
  • 1 tsp dried Parsley
  • Oregano, fresh
  • Salt and Pepper, to taste

-Put all the ingredients in a food processor except the fresh oregano. Process until completely smooth. You may need to add a little liquid (I used rice milk) to make it smoother. 

-Fill the tarts. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Top with fresh oregano and serve warm.
 

11 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

These are beautiful! I love the idea of a crust made with oil and oat flour.

Kelly said...

Absolutely stunning photo exceeded only by this delicious recipe!

Linda Wagner - Nutrition to Invigorate Mind, Body & Spirit said...

I watched Food Inc a couple of years ago, a great documentary! I just watched Forks over Knives which is another great food related doco. You can watch it for free streaming on Netflix!

juventia_jesica said...

ohh, must be extreme yumminess!!!!

Justin (Behind the Bites) said...

Beautiful photograph. I almost took a bite out of my screen!

JavelinWarrior said...

These look so amazing - what a creative vehicle for beans! I would love to attempt these tarts myself and feature your recipe in one of my Tuesday Tutor blogs. You can check out my blog for details, but please let me know if your interested ::crossing fingers::

Heather Jacobsen said...

These look gorgeous! But I can't eat oat flour. :( some people with gluten-sensitivity also have sensitivity to oats - even the gluten-free kind. Do you know if there is a suitable substitute?

I have Food Inc, at the top of my Netflix queue! So funny that you just happened to mention it!

Bread & Oil said...

I like all kind of savory tarts, pies, quiches and these tarts look great. The photo is beautiful

Shannon @ JustAsDelish said...

These tarts are so pretty, and i love your way of using oats in the tart. but i have to find other filling cos have to cut down on beans and dairy.. thanks for sharing!

Shannon @ JustAsDelish said...

I used your recipe for the tart shell, it was so delish and healthy!

afracooking said...

Lovely, creative idea - must try it!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.