22 September 2011

Spinach Salad with Spiced Roasted-Chickpeas




Most bloggers, in my side of the world, are writing about how happy they are because Fall is here. It may be here already, but in Puerto Rico we don't see season changes. It may be less hot these days, but temperatures are pretty much the same through out the year.

I don't get to see the beauty of the changing seasons. I never get to wear boots, scarves, hats or gloves.

It was especially humid today. I spent all day in my home office with the air conditioning at its coolest. Not even my dog wanted to go out. She hid under the sofa every time I opened the door. 

Lunch today, was quick and easy. A simple salad with a crunchy spicy touch. The chickpeas are very flavorful, so there is no need for a heavy dressing. You can add as many spices as you want, any combination is good.



Makes two servings. Serve in a bed of Baby Spinach and Tomatoes with Balsamic Vinaigrette. 

  • one 15 ounce can of Chickpeas (about 2 cups)
  • 1 tsp Olive Oil
  • 1/2 tsp Paprika
  • 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
  • 1/4 tsp Onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1 tsp dried Parsley
  • 1/4 tsp dried Oregano

- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. - In a small bowl, mix the dry ingredients.- Place the chickpeas in a baking sheet, sprinkle with the dry mix, pour the oil, mix everything using your hands (or a spoon). Make sure every bean is covered. Add more oil if you want. -Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes depending on how crispy you want the chickpeas to be. 
  

14 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

lovely site
following you on google friends :)
keep in touch
nice to meet you
Akheela

sewa elf said...

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

luisa said...

tiene una pinta deliciosa. Me encanta el color de la ensalada. Saludos.

Naomi said...

You know, there's beauty all over the world - even when the seasons don't change! I'm betting you get to see beauty that people like me don't get to see in any of our 4 seasons!

Peggy said...

Such a beautiful salad! Never thought to add chickpeas to spinach before =)

bridget b. bakes said...

Great idea for a salad topping. I could eat these as a snack on their own as well. Going to make them this weekend!

Jules said...

Delicious! I really got into roast chickpeas when I was on holiday in Morocco. Will have to try your version!

Vicki Bensinger said...

I've never thought of roasting chick peas. I like this idea, it's different and the spicy flavor sounds unique and flavorful for this dish. I bet theyd even taste great roasted and sitting in a bowl to eat just like nuts. I'm excited to try this. Thanks for sharing.

Madison Chloe Marie said...

I'm abroad right now, and was about to make my favorite spinach salad, to only be told I can't eat that type "raw" I wonder if that's true or if perhaps they just haven't eaten it raw before. Having roasted chickpeas on top is a perfect sentiment to a whole meal, I LOVE IT.

Yadsia @ShopCookMake said...

@Madison:
You can't eat raw spinach? Why not? I used baby spinach, which i always eat raw.

bicocacolors said...

Yummy yummy....thanks for that!

a big hello from Madrid,
elena

Umm Mymoonah said...

Wow! Lovely fresh salad, your pictures are really fantastic.

Reem | Simply Reem said...

Wonderful!!!!
What a fresh and lovely looking salad..
Beautiful pictures

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

I know the feeling. It's hot here in Brazil too. But to be honest with you I'm so happy. I don't miss the cold at all, at least not yet.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.