28 September 2011

Gluten-Free Spinach Kugel

It's been a busy week for me. Haven't had much time for blogging or cooking. 

We've been in full party planning mode for my Grandpa's birthday. He turns 80 this Sunday, so we're throwing a party for him. My aunt and cousin are coming from Florida for the celebrations. I'm sure it's going to be an amazing day for him. 

From this point on, it's all about quality of life and the amazing moments we have together. He is a healthy 80 year old man, that has been like a father to me. I even call him Papá, which means Dad in Spanish. I love him dearly.

All of that work has made me prepare food in large batches so there is plenty to eat the next day, like this Spinach Kugel. 

Last year, after returning from a NYC trip, I started craving Jewish food. Somehow, NYC feel very Jewish to me. That's when I made Potato Kugel and Brisket for the first time. This time I wanted to try Kugel with noodles instead.

Kugel is very rich and flavorful. The addition of lots of spinach, creates a balance.  I'm not sure how traditional this recipe is, but I love it.

serves five people

  • 12 ounces of Gluten-Free Pasta (like Rotini)
  • 3 cups of fresh Spinach
  • 1/2 cup Milk
  • 1/2 cup Sour Cream
  • 3 Eggs
  • 1 big Yellow Onion
  • 3 tbsp Butter
  • Salt to taste

-Cook the pasta just until almost al dente in salted water. It will continue cooking in the oven.

-Slice the onion, cook in 2 tbsp of butter over medium-high heat until brown and soft. Sprinkle some salt. Remove from the pan.

-Add the remaining butter and cook the spinach just until wilted. Season with salt. Add the onions and pasta, and incorporate well. 

-In a bowl, mix the eggs, milk, sour cream and pinch of salt. 

- Add the spinach, pasta and onions mix into the wet ingredients. Mix them quickly before the eggs curdle. Pour it into a buttered baking dish (I used a loaf pan). 

-Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  


Yadira said...

This actually looks really good. If I hadn't have to start low-carbing tomorrow I'd prepare this. Have a nice week girl!

Vicki Bensinger said...

I think this sounds fantastic. All the kugul recipes I've made are sweet. This one sounds perfect and balanced. Most of mine have cottage cheese in them I'm almost positive. Now I will have to go check. I'd make your recipe in a heartbeat. Thank you for sharing.

I hope your Papa has a wonderful birthday!

luisa said...

que rico y que pinta. Felicidades a tu abuelo.Bss

Linda Susan said...

Delicious! Congratulations, beautiful blog!

the actor's diet said...

yum!!!! i definitely dig this recipe!

Nicole said...

That looks so, so yummy… I love spinach! I just found your blog-- love the design and your gorgeous photos. Happy to be a new follower!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.