21 September 2011

Coconut Ice Cream

I love Lightroom! Yes, I'm head-over-heels in love with it. 

After almost a year swearing I would never pay so much for it, convincing myself that the free software I was using was good enough, I was able to shake all of that craziness out of my head. This has been the number one, most important decision I've made regarding food photography. 

A few days ago, I ordered the software using my student discount, it only cost me $69 (yes, the regular full version). Today, I used it to edit a food photo for the first time. 

The software alone is too complicated for me right now, but I purchased a set of custom Lightroom brushes (here) that helped me edit the photo without affecting its quality.  With the brushes, I was able to edit several parts of the photograph separately.

Last month, I was lucky enough to win a set of Actions for Photoshop Elements. Lidia, from Oh So Posh Photography, designed these Actions (see them here). So far, I've used them to edit pictures from this post, using 'Radiant'.

Now to the recipe   

Summer officially ended, but in this caribbean island, the days of enjoying ice cream are not gone yet. 

Due to the climate in our island, we can enjoy frozen desserts throughout the year. Unlike other countries, we eat ice cream during any season.

This recipe for Coconut Ice Cream, has less sugar and is made with Coconut Milk. For me, it's very important to eliminate processed foods from my daily diet. Migraines and mood swings are just a few of the changes I experience from food additives. So I'm always looking for healthy alternatives to enjoy my favorite desserts. 

By making my own ice cream, I'm eliminating sugar, plus artificial flavors and colors. What could be healthier than ice cream prepared with two ingredients? Best of all, it only takes 15 minutes to prepare.

If you don't have an ice cream machine, make Popsicles. Recipe here

  • one can of coconut milk (15 ounces)
  • 3 tablespoons honey (add more to taste)
  • Toasted coconut (optional)

-Mix the coconut milk and honey in a bowl. Follow the instructions on the ice cream machine. It usually takes 15 to 20 minutes. If no machine, follow the instructions here for preparing Popsicles.

-Once the cream is ready, garnish with toasted coconut.



Naomi said...

Ok, you've convinced me: I need to try Lightroom. Can't wait to mess around with the trial I downloaded this weekend!!

Vicki Bensinger said...

I. Never thought of editting my photos using software. I'm going to check that out, please share more about this.

Also your ice cream looks very inviting. A suggestion if you're trying to eliminate sugar, try using Agave Nectar. It's recommended for diabetics in that it doesn't convert to sugar in your system lime honey. It's really quite good. If you wanted to add a little zip to your ice cream add lime zest, it takes it to a new level. That is if you like limes.

That said, the way you've made it sounds pure and delicious!

Mai said...

Your ice cream looks so amazing delish! I love anything coconut!

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) said...

Seriously just coconut and honey??? Wow. Where was this recipe all summer long? YUM.

Peggy said...

Oh I love this recipe! Only 3 ingredients? How can I even resist it?!

And I'm so lucky that my college had a partnership with Adobe, so we were able to download all of the Adobe suites for free! I love love love Lightroom!

Yadsia @ShopCookMake said...

@ Vicky:
I'm still trying to make the change from honey to agave. I don't like the aftertaste of agave. Maybe that's because I'm so used to honey.

Aunt Clara said...

You have such a lovely blog. I cannot believe you are using a point and shoot for your pictures. That takes some serious innate talent.

myFudo said...

Great photo, guess I need the light room too :) wow, coconut ice cream who would have thought, got me craving for one already :)

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen said...

Lightroom is a great program and my favorite for editing, have fun with it!

JoyHey said...

You can't go wrong with coconut! ;) Thanks for sharing! Trackback: http://blog.joyhey.com/2012/08/08/inspiration-ice-ice-ice-cream/

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.