13 September 2011

Basic Table Bread



 

A few days ago my camera hit the floor, lens first. It cracked open on the top. With a little force, I was able to mend it, but the crack is still visible. 

The fall, obviously affected the performance of the camera. It has problems focusing properly, therefore, all pictures end up  underexposed. Which leads to extra time editing the photos. 

The situation is annoying me to no end. Unfortunately, I won't be able to buy a new camera in the near future. So, please forgive me for the not-so-good photos in the next few posts. 




I'm done venting about my camera. Lets get to the recipe. 

This is the second recipe I prepare from this season's edition of Whole Kitchen Magazine. It's a Spanish, online magazine published a few times a year. The first recipe was Meatballs in Almond Sauce. Which were delicious!

I like this bread because it's easy and fast. No waiting until it rises. It's baked for the first 40 minutes covered, then uncovered for the last five minutes. It has a nice, dense texture that's excellent for sweet dishes like French Toast.

**NOTE: The 45 minutes of cooking time start right when you put the bread in the oven. The bread goes into the oven, in a baking dish, covered with foil. Then, you turn on the oven, set it to 400 degrees and cook the bread for 40 minutes. After those 40 minutes have passed, uncovered the bread, and bake for another 5 minutes or until the top is golden brown. 


The measurements are in grams and milliliters, I wasn't able to convert them.   


  • 305g Bread Flour
  • 175 ml of Warm Water
  • 20 ml Olive Oil
  • 1/2 tsp of fine Salt
  • 3 tsp Yeast


-In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Then add the water and oil. 


-Knead for 15 minutes (10 min if using a stand mixer) until the dough is shiny and somewhat elastic. 


-Cut a few lines on top to make any design you want, or just leave it as is. 


-Place in a small baking dish. Cover the dish. Place in the oven without preheating. Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes (covered the entire time). Then uncover the dish and bake for another 5 minutes.

**NOTE: About the baking dish. A dutch oven or even a cast iron would work great to bake the bread in. Because they already come with a lid, it's just easier that covering a regular baking dish with foil.  

21 comments:

Naomi said...

This looks so soft and delicious!

Nadia said...

Sorry to hear about your camera, but the photos are still gorgeous!

Rachel said...

Um, about 3 hours after reading your post I went home and promptly dropped my camera on the kitchen floor, breaking my lens. I guess misery loves company, right?

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen said...

Don't apologize, both the bread and the pictures are lovely.

Vicki Bensinger said...

The very first thing I thought When I opened this email was what a lovely photo. So your camera isn't doing that bad. This bread looks delicious and uniform. I could almost taste it from viewing your photo. Yum!

Stefania said...

Meraviglioso :)
ciao

The Procrastobaker said...

I cant believe you camera is anything but perfect after seeing these photos! They really are stunning, you needn't worry :) This looks reallyreally gorgeous, a lovely recipe indeed

Torviewtoronto said...

this bread looks easy and delicious

Tina said...

This is the easiest yeast bread recipe I've ever seen! I will definitely be making it soon. Thanks!

thekytchnwytch said...

This may be a silly question, but here it is. The "bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes instruction": I put the dough in the cool oven and turn it to 400. The 40 minute countdown begins at that moment or does the clock start when it first reaches 400 degrees? My oven is a little old and can sometimes take a good while to get to 400.

Laura said...

What did you use to cover the bread in the oven?

Yadsia @ShopCookMake said...

To answer your questions about cooking time, I added a note to the recipe. Here it is again:

"The 45 minutes of cooking time start right when you put the bread in the oven. The bread goes into the oven, in a baking dish, covered with foil. Then, you turn on the oven, set it to 400 degrees and cook the bread for 40 minutes. After those 40 minutes have passed, uncovered the bread, and bake for another 5 minutes or until the top is golden brown."

Thanks for letting me know about the error.

thekytchnwytch said...

@Yadsia Thank you for the clarification! I just baked a loaf and it turned out perfectly! :)

@Laura I covered the dough with aluminum foil.

themonkeyunderground said...

Eeks that sucks about your camera!(your pictures are still beautiful! ) mahalos for such a wonderful recipe,this will be a staple in my house! Aloha!

luisa said...

pues no te preocupes porq. se ve genial la foto. Bss

Cynthia said...

I made this today. Outstanding! Thanks for such an easy bread recipe.

Abigail @ Fat Burning Furnace said...

Finding a good recipe for basic bread is not as easy as I thought it would be! I had been looking for days and stumbled on your blog and it was exactly what I was looking for. I made it and loved it - in fact, everyone loved it! It's awesome with so many dishes! Thank you for sharing!!

Madison @ FatBurningFurnace.com said...

This looks perfect....I'm going to try it soon since it looks much better then my other bread recipe that I had been using. I think it will go with so many of the meals I make.

Natural Feed said...

1 1/4 cup Bread Flour
3/4 cup warm water
4 teaspoons olive oil

alice said...

Great recipe. I've been looking for the best for me recipe and I think this is it. Thank you!

Emily Anne said...

I make this recipe in double at least twice a week, it has almost entirely replaced buying bread in my family. I bake my loaves in 1 1/2 qt corningware casserole dishes; the size is spot on and it has an oven safe lid. http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/corningware/french-white-round-casserole-with-covers-1092620

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.