30 August 2011

Sorullitos de Maíz (Corn Fritters) - Honest Cooking Post

Below is my most recent article for HonestCooking.com , you can also click here to see the original.

It’s funny how life changes in an instant. I had been planning this post for a week. I knew exactly what to write and what recipe to use, even had a full sketch of the photo composition. In a matter of a few hours, we were informed Hurricane Irene was making its way into the Caribbean. All my priorities changed immediately.

Here in Puerto Rico, we are used to hurricanes, we know exactly what to do to get ready, but no one ever thinks of the aftermath. We were left with no power or water for four days, even longer in some areas. People then start saying that events of this nature bring us back to the times of our ancestors, who had no power or running water. As annoying as it may be, it’s true.

We are forced to feed ourselves in creative ways, trying not to get every meal out of a can. I’m lucky to have a small gas stove and a BBQ to use under these circumstances. 

As I tried every day to cook all of the perishables, like meat and dairy, before they went bad, I started to crave comfort foods. Pasta is usually my go-to meal when it comes to comfort foods, but that wasn’t an option.

Then I started thinking that summer couldn’t go away without eating something fried. The true nature of latin comfort foods. 

For a few days my family had been encouraging me to post a recipe for Sorullitos de Maíz (Corn Fritters). If you’ve ever been to Puerto Rico, you have probably seen them on every menu. They’re delicious and easy to make. Even if you haven’t tried them before, you’ve probably tried at least something similar.

Sorullitos de Maíz are very similar to Hush Puppies. They are basically deep fried Polenta sticks, to give you another example. After preparing the dough, which is almost cooked through, you just have to shape and deep fry them. The final result is a super crunchy outer crust with a creamy middle section that is buttery and sweet.

When researching the recipe I couldn’t find just one, apparently there are many ways to prepare Sorullitos. Some people add cheese, others add butter or milk. I went with the advice of both my Grandmothers and my Aunt on how to prepare them, this is the recipe I came up with. Nothing better than experienced home cooks to help you out.


Elena - delicious kitchen stories said...

Qué frituras más ricas! Y en cuanto a las fotos, me encantan! Te han quedado de lujo!!!! Enhorabuena!

Naomi said...

Oh, I especially love that second picture! So beautiful!

Reiko said...

I saw this picture at Tastespotting first, and I absolutely loved it!! Your photography is beautiful!! :)

Nadia said...

The photos are stunning! And the styling with the paper... super!

We never had a hurricane here, may be because we are too far away from the ocean, but having no power and water... that I'm familiar with :)

Reem | Simply Reem said...

I hope that things are back to normal at your end....
These fritters looks awesome... Lovely pictures as always...
Thanks for sharing dear.

luisa said...

vaya tiene una pinta estupenda. Que rico, os admiro por el tema de los huracanes. Saludos.

Karisha@Ruborosa said...

Ooh yes, SORULLOS! Can't think of anything better to eat right now! With homemade mayo-ketchup? Yes please!

Think you should know the second picture took my breath away for a second there.

Powerful what rain and wind can do! ;( Thank God, aside from the power and water loss, nothing mayor.


kankana said...

I hope everything is better now. It's really sad how life can suddenly get attacked by nature...
These Fritters looks so yum .. wondering if I can make these with polenta.


Pues dale las gracias a tu familia por hacer que nos presentaras esta receta, tiene una pinta extraordinaria y para mí es desconocida, pero a partir de ahora creo que tomará un hueco en mi cocina, que pinta¡¡.

Y sobre los huracanes supongo que aunque estéis acostumbrados, debe de ser tremendo tanto la sensación de no saber en que medida llegan y luego todas las incomodidades que relatas, la verdad que es horrible.


Yadira said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I tried it a couple of weeks ago and they were delicious. I'm not a fan of overly sweet sorullitos and I must say that the balance of sweet and salt was perfect on these.

Making them brought back memories of seeing my grandma cook sorullitos when I was a little girl.

The picture on the bottom right corner shows part of my mildly successful batch of sorullitos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2cute_yadi/6169384389/

I'm now following your blog. Finding fellow bloggers from Puerto Rico is always a nice surprise.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.