04 August 2011

Slow-Roasted Campari Tomato Clafoutis


I can't get over just how beautiful a Clafoutis looks when it comes out of the oven. 

Looking at it in all its poofy glory reminds of how lucky I am. Lucky to be able to cook delicious simple dishes in times when food is scarce for so many people.

I don't mean to bring you down with me in a guilt trip. I'm just trying to get you to think about how lucky you are too. You should give thanks to the God, Goddess or any other Entity you pray to (if you do), for the food you eat everyday. I will do that too.

Clafoutis is so versatile. Originally a sweet dish, I turned it into breakfast, seriously. Mixing the ingredients takes five minutes, the rest of the time is cooking the oven, so you can get ready in the morning while your breakfast is baking. 

Just roast the tomatoes the night before. Also really easy, and not time consuming at all. They get sweet and extra flavorful when roasted.

If eating it as lunch, serve it with a simple Basil salad on the side.    

for the slow roasted Campari Tomatoes

8 Campari Tomatoes (or cherry tomatoes)
Salt and Pepper

-Cut the tomatoes in half and place in a baking sheet.
-Sprinkle with salt and pepper. 
-Cook at 300 degrees for 30 minutes. Then turn the heat down to 250 for 2 more hours.
They should be dry and almost as hard as sun dried tomatoes.

for the Clafoutis

3 eggs
1/3 cup Milk
1/3 cup Cream
1/2 cup Flour 
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
the slow roasted Tomatoes
2 ounces of Havarti Cheese, in small pieces (or any other soft cheese you like)

-In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, flour, salt and pepper. 

-Put the tomatoes and cheese in the baking dish (10 inch round). Pour the mixture on top. 
-Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. 

Serve immediately.


Nadia said...

This looks and sounds absolutely stunning!

I was just wondering what kind of lens and camera are you using? I just bought the new AF-S Nikkor 50 mm 1.8G and the mild blur in your photos looks almost like from that particular lens.

Yadsia @ShopCookMake said...

Thanks for the compliment, but I use a simple point and shoot camera. Fijufilm to be exact. I wish I had a better camera. Maybe the quality of the pictures would be better.

Viv said...

yum yum!! ive never seen clafoutis with tomatoes before..only with sweet fruits! how interesting.

lately, i've been thinking how blessed we are to be so 'picky' (and have so much choices) about what we eat. there are many who dont have the choice what they eat...and still more struggling for a meal a day...so yes...thanks for the reminder today :)

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) said...

SO pretty! I just noticed in your reply that you use a regular Point and Shoot. That is so impressive. Your photos are amazing.

Yadsia @ShopCookMake said...

Thank you, Rivki!

Reem said...

This looks amazing!!! And how very well written post, so true we all should thank our God for all the blessing we have and pray for and help the people who are less fortunate.
I just read your reply about camera, I must say you are so talented and your photographs are amazing girl.
Thanks for stopping by at my blog,I really appreciate all the kind words.

Kevin said...

I like the sound of a roast tomato clafoutis!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.