18 August 2011

Lemon-Almond Biscotti and 'Coming out of the Pantry'




Until a few days ago, this Blog remained a secret. A secret from those who know me personally, like friends and family. Some of my family members know I like to take pictures of food and post the recipes online, but none of them know it's a serious hobby

A hobby, that slowly is growing into something more.

Why keep it a secret? Because this space is 'mine'. Thanks to the anonymity the internet gave me, I was able to write whatever I wanted without feeling like someone was 'watching me'. It explains why at the beginning I posted as Yadi I

The sudden change of mind came when, in an email, HonestCooking.com asked me for my real name to set up my account as a contributor. I figured that people would eventually realize it's me, or someone who knows me would read one of my articles. So, I decided to 'come out of the pantry'. 

The first person I told was my Dad. To my relief, he is very proud. My Mom already knew what I was doing, but never actually read a post before. This weekend I'm telling my Grandparents. Even though my Grandpa helped me build most of the backgrounds you see in my pictures, he hasn't seen the final product yet.

I guess my friends and extended family will eventually find out as my hobby gets more serious over time. Everyone should know about it by the time I move to Florida at the end of the year. We'll see what happens.

It's been ten months of incredible amounts of learning. Ten months of very frustrating moments when photographs don't come out as I want them, cake batter over flowing from the baking dish in the oven, burnt cookies and watery drinks. But for the most part, these have been the best ten months of my life.

Now, about the recipe: I've been cooking my way through Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine special issue for Summer. This recipe comes from Mindy Fox. They came out a bit cakey for my taste, but still very good.   
       




  • 1/2 cup chopped Almonds
  • 1/2 cup of Sugar
  • 1/4 cup melted Butter
  • the zest of one Lemon
  • 2 tbsp fresh Lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp Almond extract
  • 1 whole Egg, plus 1 Egg white
  • 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
  • 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/8 tsp fine Salt


-Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Chop the almonds and bake for 5 minutes. Set aside.


-In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, butter, lemon zest, lemon juice and extracts. Stir in the almonds, egg and egg white.


-In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, salt and baking powder. Pour it into the egg mixture and mix until incorporated. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.


-Once cooled, shape into a log (12 inches long x 4 inches wide). About an inch tall. Bake for 25 minutes. Take out of the oven, let it rest for 15 minutes.


-Using a serrated knife, cut into 3/4 inch thick slices. Place the slices back in the baking sheet and bake for another 8 minutes. Turn the slices, and bake for 8 more minutes. Take them out of the oven and place them in a wire rack to cool down.

12 comments:

Mai said...

Yadsia, I did the same with my friends and family for about 4 months LOL. Btw, I'm so glad that I found you...absolutely love your blog and will continue to read your blog. Xo

Yadsia @ShopCookMake said...

@Mai:
Glad to know I'm not the only one!
Thanks for the nice comment. I'm a fan of your Blog. I think that's how you found me, because I left you a comment.

Nadia said...

It's great that you decided to come out in the open, because your blog - recipes, photos, texts, everything is awesome :))) You should be proud of yourself!

Good luck with the blog and everything you decide to do with it :) Mine is 10 months old too and I've achieved so much, I still can't believe... even old friends started looking at me differently, with more respect. It's an amazing experience :)

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) said...

So funny! I am just the same way. I'm very quiet about my blog; it's like a separate secret life. Glad you came 'out of the pantry.' And congrats on the invitation to Honest Cooking.

Ashley@bakerbynature said...

First of all: your blog is amazing, your photos are gorgeous, and I now have an intense craving for biscotti! It's very easy to be shy with your special space, but with one this fantastic, your family should share in the glory of it all.

myfudo said...

What a cool toast. That biscotti is a surefire hit with a lemonade.

Elena - delicious kitchen stories said...

Yadi, felicidades por la nueva colaboración!!!! Qué ilusión tienes que sentir! Además, te lo mereces muchísimo, tienes un blog precioso, a mí me encanta, de verdad! Así que no seas "shy" y enséñale a todo el mundo lo que haces, pues lo haces muy bien! Ya era hora de salir del "pantry", je je....
Por cierto, qué tal reaccionó tu familia cuando les has contado?

Los biscotti tienen una pinta estupenda. Nunca los he hecho en casa, a ver si un día me animo.
Besos.

Reem said...

Love the Biscotti dear, Lemme tell you my little secret I'm in the same boat.I haven't told my friends and family too. Except my hubby... LOL
Loved your post and pictures...

Anonymous said...

I really liked the article, and the very cool blog

Karisha@Ruborosa said...

Yadi:: Oh my! Biscotti dipped in milk coffee is fave! YUM!

Guess I'm still in the pantry. My "hobby" is now 2 months old, and also a secret. All mine, for now! Ja!

I'm so happy for all that is going on in you blogging life. I truly love everything on your corner. From the lovely writing to the awesome photos. ;)

P.S. Qué tal pasaste el huracán? Yo, todavía sin agua y luz, pero agradecida que no pasó a mayores. Espero sigas bien! xo

Viv said...

congrats on your "coming out" of the pantry :D haha. I can't believe u kept it a secret for so long!! I'm sure yoru family and friends are SOOO proud of you! This is def soem serious hobby you have here!

I've seen your photography and food going from great to AMAZING over time so can tell that you're really doing something you LOVE :)

P-R & Associates said...

Congrats on coming out! Your blog is beautiful and you should feel very proud. I'm encouraged by your 'hobby' in my own endeavors and I look forward to more good eats!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.