28 August 2011

Gluten Free Cinnamon-Bun Muffins & Glamour Magazine Feature




Before getting to the recipe, I just wanted to let you know that my recipe for Coconut Milk & Honey Pops was featured on the online version of Glamour Magazine along with my very own photograph. I wrote the original article for HonestCooking.com, that's how they found it. 

To say that I was jumping and screaming as soon as I saw it, is an understatement. Nothing compares to seeing your photographs (and name!) published on a national magazine. Below is a screenshot. Click on it to read the article. 


Glamour Magazine feature.

.

After a week without power thanks to hurricane Irene, it was very comforting to start cooking again. 

A few weeks ago I bought a bag of Coconut Flour with the intention of making delicious baked goods every week. Well, I should've made some research first. It turns out there aren't many recipe on the web using only Coconut Flour. 

My first attempt was a complete success. Everyone loved the Coconut Flour Cookies with Almonds. Then I remember making something else that I had to throw in the trash.

Last week I found this recipe. It's exactly what I was looking for: no sugar and no butter (just a little in the topping, which is completely optional).







Adapted from here. Makes 5-6 big muffins


For the Muffins:
  • 1/2 cup of Coconut Flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon of Baking Soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon of coarse Salt (I used Fleur de Sel)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/3 cup of Yogurt (I used Greek)
  • 1/2 cup of Honey (or Agave)

For the Cinnamon Topping:


  • 3 teaspoons of ground Cinnamon
  • 4 tablespoons of honey (or Agave)
  • 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted (ghee or coconut butter will work too)
  • 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts (optional; I didn't add them)

Method


  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. For the muffins, combine all the dry in ingredients and blend well.
  3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and use a mixer to blend (get rid of any clumps of flour), or blend well by hand.
  4. Fill muffin or cupcake liners about 3/4 of the way with batter.
  5. Drip the cinnamon topping over the top of each muffin. Some of it will sink into the muffin batter. You can use a toothpick to poke the topping into the batter, to get more of the topping to spread into the batter.
  6. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
  7. Cool and enjoy! Store for a few days at room temperature (covered) or keep in the refrigerator for a week or so.


   

3 comments:

Nadia said...

Congratulations on the publication! You surely deserve it! :) I wish you tons of more to come :)))

The coconut flour buns look very delicious, but we don't have coconut flours here, I believe I can try and make one from coconut flakes or no?

Yadsia @ShopCookMake said...

Thank you, Nadia! I'm afraid you can't use coconut flakes for the recipe instead of the flour. It was hard to find it here too. I had to go to a specialty store.

Peggy said...

Congrats on the Glamour publication! Those pops were definitely "glamorous" so it's an honor well-deserved! And these muffins sounds awesome too - definitely will be on the lookout for some coconut flour =)

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.