05 July 2011

Tomato Crumble Tart - Vegetarian & Gluten Free




A few posts back I promised I would cook more Vegetarian meals. This is me keeping that promise. It's not only Veggie, but also Gluten Free.

I have the suspicion my Mom has Celiac disease. She has not been tested but it's been going on for years now. Symptoms seem to worsen whenever she eats bread and pizza. So I'm trying to learn how to cook Gluten free foods. If you have any tips and tricks for me, please leave them in the comments area. They will be very well received.


This is my first attempt at Gluten free cooking. It was ok, not completely bad, but not excellent. The problem is the texture of the tart. It's a bit grainier than what I'm used to. The rice toasted up while baking, so it was crunchy rather than chewy. Plus the cheese didn't melt. 

I'm sure you can make it better when making this at home. Please, tell me where I went wrong. 

I did not follow a specific recipe. I just used Hodgson Mill Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Mix for the crumble. Have you used it? Is it any good for cakes? I'll try making cupcakes tomorrow with what's left in the box. 


In the end, I had to eat it because it wasn't bad at all. Just not what I had on mind. The tomatoes were juicy and sweet, ready to be paired with the crunchiness of the rice.


  This recipe is enough as a side dish for three people.

............................................................................
On another note, I'm very happy to announce that my picture for Lemon, Strawberry & Yogurt Popsicles won a prize from a monthly photo event called Evento Photo Blog. I won in the category 'Ñam- Ñam', which loosely translates to 'Yum, Yum'. Seems like all the effort has paid off. Now I'm ready to partitipate in Monthly Mingle. We'll see how that goes. 
...........................................................................

Ingredients
for the dough 
1/2 cup of cooked Brown Rice   
1/4 cup softened Butter
2 or 3 tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 tsp dried Oregano
1 tsp dried Parsley
1/3 cup shredded Mozarella (or any cheese you like)
Salt and Pepper

for the filling
2 medium Tomatoes
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1/4 tsp dried Oregano
1/2 tsp dried Parsley
Salt and Pepper


Procedure
-Mix the flour and butter with your hands until it's crumbly. Add olive oil as necessary, if it's too dry.

-Add the rest of the ingredients and keep mixing with your hands. Put it in the freezer for 5 minutes while you prepare the filling.

-Cut the tomatoes in 1/3 inch thick round slices.

-Place half of the dough in the bottom of a 8 inch tart pan, press it a little to settle it. Place the tomatoes on top of the dough. Season with olive oil, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper. 

-Top with the rest of the dough. Don't press the dough, just place it on top. It should be crumbly.

-Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

Eat warm and enjoy.



-Yadi I.  



4 comments:

The Procrastobaker said...

This is such a brilliant and unique recipe, even if it didnt turn out QUITE how you hoped it seems like a great starting point and im pretty sure you will have it perfected in no time :)
Really love your photography, gorgeous as always!

Yadi I. @ShopCookMake said...

@The Procrastobaker:
Thanks for the support!

Betty Jo said...

I adore your recipes, and your photos are gorgeous. I eat mostly gluten free, although I cook "normal" for my family. Some of the best info and recipes for gluten free I've found online is here: Gluten Girl's hubby is a chef, and they have books out as well.
http://glutenfreegirl.com/

This recipe is beautiful, and something I would definitely try. Perhaps it would work better if baked covered, then the topping placed on and baked a bit longer. It might help the rice to stay more moist.

Yadi I. @ShopCookMake said...

@Betty Jo:
Thanks for such a nice comment!
I'll be checking out the link.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.