04 July 2011

Southern Buttermilk Pie to Celebrate Independence Day




The other day my Mom was talking with my Brother over the phone when he asked about our Independence Day menu. While my Mom was telling him about it, he mentioned that a few years ago he had a piece of Buttermilk Pie that his ex wife's aunt made. 

The more he talked about it, the more convinced I was that I needed to try it as soon as possible.

But there was a very big problem. I've never been able to find buttermilk here in Puerto Rico. So I had to make my own. It's really easy:
Take 3 cups of heavy cream, with an electric mixer, beat the cream until it turns into whipped cream. Then continue whipping 2-3 more minutes, until the fat has separated from the water. It'll only take 4-6 minutes for 3 cups of cream. You'll know when fat and water have separated. That yellow fat is Butter. That white water is Buttermilk.   That's it! Pour the buttermilk into a jar to use later.  

Since we had a planned an american menu spread for today, what's better than a good old southern dessert. 

I couldn't wait until he found the recipe for me, so to the internet I went. 

This is more of a custard than a pie. I think that what makes it a pie is the crust. The texture of the pie is very custard-like, kind of like Flan. But the taste is very different.

Although it was too fatty for my taste, the flavor was amazing. It has a very mild, buttery flavor from the custard to the crust.

I couldn't resist making Buttermilk Pie Crust as well, instead of the regular pie crust. The result is a flaky, sweet and buttery crust that screams home to me.

This a less sweet version of the pie. 


Ingredients
for the crust: 
1 1/4 all purpose flour
1 tbsp Sugar
4-6 tbsp very cold Buttermilk
1/3 cup Butter

for the pie:  
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup melted butter
1 1/2 cup buttermilk 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 eggs

Procedure
-Mix all of the ingredients for the dough and knead well. You may need to add more or less buttermilk depending on the weather.
-Flatten it with a rolling pin until 1/8 inch thick. Place it in your pie pan. Put it in the freezer until you prepare the pie filling. 
-Whisk together the sugar, eggs and flour.
-Add the melted butter and whisk well again.
-Add the buttermilk and vanilla. 
-Pour it in the pie pan.
-Bake it for 60 minutes at 325 degrees. 


-Yadi I.

11 comments:

Mai said...

I'm not much of a pie person but this looks delish. Happy 4th Yadi!

Yadi I. @ShopCookMake said...

Thank you Mai! You too!

Heidi @ Food Doodles said...

That looks delicious! I've never tried a buttermilk pie but I think my husband would love it so I should give it a try. Yours looks so good!

Amy J. and Tiffanie A. said...

I want to eat my computer screen right now this looks absolutely AMAZING! Def. going to try this out this weekend!!

We saw you on food gawker and just started following you! Cannot wait for more awesome recipes!!

Love,

http://chickswholovetoeat.blogspot.com/

kankana said...

Loving the soft texture of the pie .. almost like a custard. I have to try making this sometime. :)

Yadi I. @ShopCookMake said...

@Amy & Tiffany:
I'm so glad that you found the recipe so yummy!

Karina said...

This looks great! I'm catching up (again) and loving the new look of your blog!

Yadi I. @ShopCookMake said...

@Karina:
Thanks! I'm still giving it some final touches.

Anonymous said...

Southern buttermilk is also fermented and has a slightly tangy taste.
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Cultured-Buttermilk

thejoyofcaking said...

This pie sounds delicious and your photo's are beautiful! I love custard pies :)

Anonymous said...

I made this and it turned out great! I didn't add the full amount of sugar (only 1/2c.) and
my husband kept telling me that it tasted like "egg casserole, but delicious though." So I do not
recommend trying to reduce the amount of sugar in this one.
Very buttery and custard-like though :) I liked it!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.