20 July 2011

Petite Tomato Tarts


This is the third Tomato Tart recipe this month. It's safe to say that I'm obsessed. 

Summer is the best season for tomatoes. They're sweet and soft, just the way they're supposed to be. So I'm taking advantage of sweet and ripe tomatoes to use them in recipes as much as I can.

Last week I bought a tomato plant, hopefully in a few months I'll be able to enjoy home grown tomatoes. That's a good perk from living in Puerto Rico. The weather is hot year round, perfect for growing tomatoes and berries.  

These tarts cook in the oven for five minutes. Prep time is under 10 minutes. Which makes this dish a great lunch option. Better than going to the drive-thru.
Fleur de Sel and Olive Oil, take this simple dish to the top. 

Prepare it as appetizers for a party. They can be assembled the day before and baked 15 minutes before serving. 

this recipe serves one

5 Cherry Tomatoes
1 Puff Pastry sheet
1 tsp olive Oil
fresh Oregano
Fleur de Sel (or any other coarse salt)

-Using a three inch, round, cookie cutter, cut three circles from the puff pastry sheet. Place them in a greased baking sheet.

-Cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Place three halves in each puff pastry round. Using the tip of your finger, smear some oil on top.

-Bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes. Keep an eye on them. They burn fast!
-As soon as they come out of the oven, sprinkle salt and pepper on top. Place one oregano leaf on top of each tomato.




Rachel said...

Home grown tomatoes are my favorite part of summer, so keep the tomato recipes coming! yum!

Mai said...

My mom just gave me some homegrown tomatoes. I might have to try this! They looks so delicate and delicious!

Yadi I. @ShopCookMake said...

I'm so jealous! I wish I had some homegrown tomatoes right now.

Viv said...

hard to imagine that something as delicious looking as this takes such short prep time! i do have some puff pastry at home as well as tomatoes! will be trying this out...mb add a bit of cheese on top too! YUMMM! thanks for the idea!

Marla {family fresh cooking} said...

These tarts are beautiful!

Amy J. and Tiffanie A. said...

OH those are so awesome!!! I dont have home grown but I will need to try it anyways!

Carolyn Jung said...

I adore the size of these. And much easier to eat than cherry tomatoes piled high on a crostini. ;)

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) said...

I just love how super quick these bake up. Wonderful summer recipe.

Carolynn Cecilia said...

I'm dying over these. So simple and the perfect size!

Esty said...

Hi Yadsia,

This looks awesome! I'd like to make and freeze them before baking. Do you know if this will affect the tomatoes? (I know pastry dough freezes well)

Thank you!

Yadsia @ShopCookMake said...

Pastry dough freezes well, but I don't know about the tomatoes. They could become very watery when thawed and ruin the dough. But you could freese the dough already cut into rounds to save some time later.

theoncominghope said...

Mmm...I'm totally obsessed with tomato tarts this summer. Here's the one I made last night:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.