31 July 2011

 


Who said eating healthy was easy or cheap? We're so used to buying big amounts of crap for .99 cents, that when the store charges $1.99 for six lemons, it's like the world is going to end.

There I was, standing in front of the lemons at the produce section of the supermarket. All shiny and perfectly yellow in their pretty plastic package. Why do they wrap them anyway? Don't they know it creates extra waste? It bothers me. 

Not that these cookies are super healthy, but they are healthier than their 'wheat' counterparts. They're made with Brown Rice Flour and Corn Flour, which makes them Gluten Free

Since I started eliminating Gluten from my diet, my weekly grocery bills have been going up. Regular pasta costs about .89 cents, Gluten Free pasta costs $3.49 for the same amount. But the way I feel about my healthier lifestyle is priceless. I have more energy, waking up in the morning is no longer a chore and I'm eating more whole grains. So not everything is bad.



These cookies are exactly what I was expecting. Crunchy, a bit grainy, not too sweet and very flavorful. I like them better than the Coconut cookies I made last week.  

Originally they have a glaze on top, but I preferred not to add it. No need for extra sugar. But if you'd like to add glaze, just mix 3/4 cup of powdered sugar with 1 or 2  tablespoons of lemon or lime juice and whisk well. Just pour it on top of the cookies. 



adapted from Giada De Laurentiis, 12 to 14 cookies

  • 1/2 stick unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
  • 3/4 cup Turbinado Sugar (also known as raw sugar)
  • 2 lemons, zested
  • 1 egg, at room temperature
  • 3 tablespoons fresh Lime Juice 
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups Brown Rice flour, plus extra for dusting
  • 1/2 cup corn flour (or meal)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine salt

-For the cookies: Line a baking sheet with a silicone liner or parchment paper. Set aside.

-In a food processor, pulse together the butter, sugar, and lime zest until combined. Add the egg, lime juice, and vanilla. Process until smooth. 
-Add the rice flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Process until the mixture forms a dough. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for 20 seconds. Form the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 20 minutes.



-Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly flour a work surface. Cut the dough in half and roll out each piece into a 9-inch diameter circle, about 1/4-inch thick. Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut the dough into 10 circles and arrange on the prepared baking sheet. Gather any scraps of dough, knead together, and roll out to 1/4-inch thick. Cut out 2 additional rounds of dough and place on the baking sheet. 

-Bake until light golden around the edges, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely, about 15 minutes.


   

2 comments:

Heidi @ Food Doodles said...

These look fantastic! Citrus cookies are always so yummy and I love that they're gluten free too(and no weird ingredients!) I'm actually really excited to try these because I have everything on hand! I don't eat gluten free, but I do try to eat different grains where I can and I usually feel better for doing so.

luisa said...

rich biscuits. Bye

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.