25 July 2011

Gluten-Free Coconut Flour Cookies with Almonds




Yesterday, we had a Sunday family dinner at my house. I invited my Grandparents over to have dinner with my mom and I. 

At first, we aimed to make BBQ Ribs, but it was soon obvious that a pair of amateurs like us couldn't get the fire going and the coals hot. So, to the oven they went.

We didn't miss the BBQ flavor. The ribs cooked in the oven over low heat for almost four hours. As we attempted to cut them in pieces before serving, we realized they were too tender, almost falling from the bone. We served the entire rack on the table so everyone could take pieces with their hands. No flatware was necessary.

We served corn on the cob, Texas-style potato salad and baked beans as side dishes. Every thing was delicious. For dessert, I baked this flavorful cookies right after finishing our dinner.



This is the first cookie recipe on the Blog. Every time I tried to bake cookies in the past, they ended up as a big blob of goo. I don't know what it is with me and cookies.

A few days ago, I bought coconut Flour in an attempt to continue experimenting with Gluten Free baking. First, I made Coconut Flour Pancakes. They were ok, not good, but not bad.  A little too grainy and heavy for my taste.

Then I found this recipe for Gluten Free Coconut Flour Cookies. They're perfect, really.  After a few adjustments, I was able to reach the perfect batter.

Lightly toasting the coconut flakes and almond pieces that go into the batter, gives the final product an extra crunchy edge. It also helps to develop the flavors better.  Try them, you'll fall in love.


They have a soft texture at first, but put them in the fridge to develop some crisp. 


This recipe yields 16-18, three inch cookies. 


½ cup sifted, Coconut Flour
½ cup chopped, raw Almonds
½ cup butter

3/4 cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
4 eggs

1/4 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1 cup Coconut flakes




-Preheat oven to 175C (350F). 

-Put the chopped almonds and coconut flakes in baking sheet and bake until the coconut is lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool. 

-Mix together butter, sugar, salt, eggs and vanilla extract. Stir in flour, coconut and toasted almonds. Let batter rest for 4 to 5 minutes to allow it to thicken slightly.  It will be very runny, don't worry. Put it in the fridge until it has completely cooled down. It'll get very thick. 

-Drop batter in spoon-size mounds 1 inch apart on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 190 Degree C (375F) for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly and remove from cookie sheet. Makes about 2 dozen small cookies.

 

   
 

6 comments:

Nadia said...

Coconut flour, raw almonds and flakes in a cookie recipe is one of the best ideas ever! :) It's brilliant!

The Procrastobaker said...

ohhhh my goodness, i ADORE anything coconut, and almond! so these look goddarn wonderful. Such gorgeous photos too :)

luisa said...

tienen una pinta estupenda. Que ricas. Y que bonitas fotos. Saludos.

Mai said...

You know me I love anything with coconut. I'll try to bake these for my husband this weekend. Thanks :)

Janel said...

I love how these don't look totally dense and dry! Thanks :)

JLar143 said...

I have to tell you I made these cookies and was in complete AWE of them!! Soooo easy to make. The first tray I made kind of melted as they baked so I let the batter sit in the fridge for a couple of hours. The dough worked much better for me after it had a chance to chill. LOVE this recipe and will definitely be making it again.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.