17 July 2011

Drunken Cherry Sauce



This week I've been busy in the kitchen cooking lots of recipes from this month's special issue of Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine.

I love everything she does. Even the men in my family do. In 2006, my brother and I took a holiday trip to NYC (my favorite place on earth). On the second day, while we were getting ready in the morning to hit the city, Martha's movie came on T.V. You know, that movie Cybil Shepherd made soon after Martha had some problems with the law. 

We watched the first 10 minutes, and we were hooked. Needless to say, we spent the entire morning in our hotel room watching the movie. I'm fascinated by her, to say the less. 

That same day, before going to bed, we watched the movie again.


Anyway, back to the recipe. Sadly, it's been raining all week, so I haven't been able to take good photographs. Light has been scarce lately. Can't wait for my new light kit to get here! 

One of the recipes that immediately caught my eye was this Drunken Cherry Sauce. I had some creme in the fridge to make ice cream. This seemed like the perfect topping. And an excuse to enjoy some booze late at night. 


If you can't have any alcohol but would like to still enjoy the flavor of brandy, by cooking the sauce until it boils (2-3 minutes), the alcohol content will evaporate, leaving the sauce with all the flavor.


This is a slightly adapted recipe from the magazine.

3 tbsp Brandy
1/4 cup Sugar (or to taste)
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 1/2 cups pitted Cherries
2 tbsp water (ONLY if boiling to reduce alcohol content)

-In a bowl mix all ingredients with a spoon (except water unless you're boiling it). Refrigerate for at least one hour. Serve over anything you'd want to eat it with. 

-To reduce the alcohol content, add the water to the mix, boil for exactly one minute. Let cool, or enjoy warm over ice cream.  

2 comments:

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) said...

This looks wonderful. The color of those cherries is amazing. I have to ask - what light kit did you order? I have one but am always interested in what others are doing. I'd love to hear from you if you don't mind replying on my blog or emailing me. Thanks!!

Yadi I. @ShopCookMake said...

@ Rivki:
I'll send you an email through your Blog!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.