22 July 2011

Chocolate Swirl Pound Cake


I never thought that searching on the internet for a simple Pound Cake recipe would be so difficult. It's not the lack of them, is the extreme availability. From fruity ones to savory Pound Cake sandwiches. 

Since this blog was never intended to be groundbreaking, I was looking to make a traditional recipe to kill my cravings.  Traditional doesn't have to be boring. In this case, it's reliable.

A tried and true recipe, that's what I needed. Good thing that Joy of Baking never disappoints. 

Sometimes one needs a little food for the soul. When things aren't going like I want them too, cooking soothes me. Not just the food. The entire process of cooking is like therapy for the body and soul.

I get lost in the recipes, in how the ingredients feel in my hands, the smells, the sounds... See, I'm drifting off already. 

recipe adapted from The Joy of Baking 

3 Eggs, at room temperature
3 tbsp Milk, room temperature
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
3/4 cup Sugar
1/2 cup + 1/3 cup (185g) Butter, room temperature
1 tbsp Cocoa Powder

-Beat the eggs, milk and vanilla in a bowl, set aside.
-In a separate bowl, sift the flour, salt and baking powder together.  Mix in the sugar using a fork.
-Add the butter to the sifted flour mixture. Mix well. (use a stand or hand mixer for this). 
- Add the egg mixture in two additions. The batter should be very thick.
-Transfer about 3/4 cup of the batter into another bowl. Whisk in the cocoa powder. 
-In a loaf pan, pour half of the remaining vanilla batter. Pour the entire chocolate batter on top of it. Then pour the other half of the vanilla batter. 
-Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes. After 35 minutes have passed, check on it to see if it's done. It really depends on the oven. 



Nicki Woo said...

This looks delicious. I was looking for something to bake as an afternoon treat for a friend who is coming to visit. You're pictures are amazing, your blog completely divine. Thanks so much for sharing. I'll be back, again and again, I'm sure. I'm your newest follower!

Yadi I. @ShopCookMake said...

Thank you so much!
I'm sure you will love this recipe.

Carmen said...

Yadi, me uno a Nicki en todo lo que dice sobre tu blog. Es una preciosidad. Esta receta me parece muy rica y el bizcocho se ve tan jugoso...lo que no es fácil.

¿Sabes por qué se llaman pound cakes? ¿Tiene que ver con su peso?

Bss, Carmen

Yadi I. @ShopCookMake said...

Se llama Pound Cake porque la receta original se usaba una libra de harina, una de huevos, una de mantequilla y de azucar.
Gracias por los comentarios tan bonitos.

Maria said...

This is a beautiful classic and totally irresistible!

Heidi @ Food Doodles said...

Cooking and baking has that exact same effect for me. When I'm especially stressed or down all I need is some time in the kitchen, creating, not even tasting, and I feel better :) Your pound cake looks gorgous, I love the chocolate streak through it :D

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) said...

I made a similar cake this weekend, from Dorie Greenspan's cookbook - Baking, from my home to yours. It came out wonderful but the swirls didn't look as pretty as yours. Yours looks just lovely.

Yadi I. @ShopCookMake said...

I'll have to look up that recipe you mention.

cocoa butter body butter said...

Really good article, it opend my eyes, many thanks!

Nicki Woo said...

Tried it and it was delightful. Not to sweet, similiar to a dense coffee cake. Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

How can I convert the entire recipe to a chocolate-only poundcake??

Yadsia @ShopCookMake said...


Very Easy! Just mix the chocolate through out the entire cake. You may want to add 2 extra table spoons of chocolate powder.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.