16 July 2011

Cherry Pie





Until a few days ago, I'd never tasted a Cherry. Yes, I've tasted Maraschino Cherries before (are those even real cherries?), but never a fresh Cherry. Sweet surprise (pun intended), they're delicious. Their taste reminded me of peaches. 

While doing my weekly grocery shopping, I found a huge basket of cherries sitting in the aisle. I just had to buy it.

The rest of the trip was spent imagining how that dark red fruit would feel in my mouth and what it would taste like.

Since starting this Blog, I've had lots of 'food firsts'. I've come to appreciate the freshest food and the power of home cooked meals. If there is one thing I can take from this experience if this were my last post, it would be exactly that. 


This pie came to mind as a natural choice. I was tired of looking at amazing pictures of Cherry Pie but not being able to taste them. The most difficult part was pitting the cherries, everything else was quick and simple. Just the way I like my food. 


for the filling:
3 cups of Pitted Cherries
1/2 cup Sugar
3 tsp Flour

for the dough (by weight):
12 ounces of Flour
8 ounces of Butter
4 ounces of ice Water
2 tbsp Sugar
Pinch of Salt

-Mix the flour, salt and sugar.Cube the butter and mix with the flour in a food processor or using a pastry blender. Start adding the ice water until the dough starts to come together and achieves a crumbly consistency. Stop adding water when you get the desired consistency.  Wrap in plastic and put in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.

-Pit the cherries, mix them with the sugar and flour. Set aside.

-Cut the dough in two. Roll it until it's 1 cm thick. Put it in your pie dish. Cut the excess on the corners. Pour the filling. Roll the other half of the dough. Put it on top of the filling. Cut the excess dough off the corners. You can fold the corners a bit to make them look pretty and make sure non of the filling spills out while baking. Cut a small slit in the center to allow steam escape.

-Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees. 

12 comments:

Elena - delicious kitchen stories said...

Qué gracioso, Yadi! Tú, que nunca habías probado una cereza (una de mis frutas preferidas), y yo, que nunca he comido un cherry pie ;-)
Se ve delicioso, lo tengo que hacer sin falta, ahora que aquí estamos en plena temporada.....

Yadi I. @ShopCookMake said...

@Elena:
Así es! Estamos en temporada. Voy a aprovechar para comer cuanta cereza se me aparezca al frente.

Carmen said...

Yadi, me encanta lo que nos cuentas hoy. Eso de probar cosas nuevas es maravilloso. Mi blog también está sirviendo para que mis hijos se lancen a degustar nuevos platos. Y es esupendo ver cómo los disfrutan. Me alegra que a tí te esté pasando lo mismo.

El nuevo look de tu blos es precioso. Estás avanzando a pasos de gigante. Llegarás muy lejos, ya lo verás. Y, si no te lo crees, dentro de 6 meses volvemos a este mismo comentario a ver cómo están las cosas.

Besos desde Madrid, Carmen

The Procrastobaker said...

What a BEAUTIFUL pie! I cant believe you had never had a cherry before, totally gorgeous are they not :) and this looks like the perfect way to showcase them, so jam packed and fruity! Gosh i would love a whopped of a slice indeed. Delicious :)

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) said...

I can't believe you've gone this long without tasting cherries! Looks like it was a great experience... worth waiting for! :)

Yadi I. @ShopCookMake said...

@Carmen:
Gracias por el cumplido sobre el Blog! Tu comentario me ha dado más ánimos de seguir blogueando.
_____________________
@The Procrastobaker:
Thanks! It was delicious!I wish I could send you a piece by email.
_____________________
@ Rivki:
Definitely worth waiting for!

Mrs. Stranded said...

Wow - I can't believe this is your first time eating cherries! I love them, but they're so darn expensive here. The pie looks delicious.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Gorgeous pie -- I haven't had a good cherry pie in ages.

Heidi @ Food Doodles said...

Beautiful! I love cherry pie and your pastry looks gorgeous!

Yadi I. @ShopCookMake said...

@Heidi:
Thanks you so much!

Linda said...

What a beautiful pie! I've been making cherry pie many years. I learned from my Granny, and she always used flour for thickening in fruit pies, so I'm partial to those recipes incorporating flour. :) What kind of cherries were they?

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

That pie sounds so good and I love your pretty pcitures. I am hosting a recipe swap today and I'd love for you to come by and hare yor yummy pie. Have a blessed day.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.