21 June 2011

Vegetarian Crispy-Potato Tacos






To celebrate the official start of Summer on the longest day of the year, I made a delicious vegetarian dinner. 

Here in Puerto Rico, the temperature was 106 degrees (fahrenheit) today. I just wanted a Beer and Tacos at the end of the day.

I'll be cooking more Vegetarian and Vegan dishes from now on. Not only food prices are going up, but it's healthier and I feel better. 
I was craving something hearty but light at the same time: enter Potato Tacos. 

I first got the idea from Saveur Magazine, but couldn't find the actual recipe. So I used my basic Oven Fried Potatoes as a starter for the dish. Then build up the spices from there. 


The main idea was to add Mexican flavors.  





Add you favorite toppings, and you get a wonderful low-fat meal to celebrate summer. This dish is great to pack up and take it to the beach.

I didn't have any, but Avocado slices would be so good in this Tacos.  

The flavors are warm and strong. Cumin really adds a smoky flavor, while the Paprika is sweet, balancing everything out.



This recipe is enough for 8-10 tacos. The amounts in the ingredients aren't precise because you can play with the amount of spices you want to add. 


Ingredients
4 medium Potatoes
1 medium Onion
3 Garlic cloves
1 small Green Pepper
1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds (or ground cumin)
1 tsp Paprika
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp dried Oregano
1 tsp dried Parsley
1 Tomato
Cheese
Sour Cream
fresh Cilantro, as much as you want
Salt and Pepper to taste
Corn Tortillas
1 Lemon



Procedure
-Cut the potatoes into small cubes. Chop the pepper, onion and garlic, very finely. Put them in the baking dish.

-Add the spices, oregano, parsley, oil, salt and pepper to the potatoes. Mix well. Cook at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until crispy and golden brown.

-Cut the tomatoes into small cubes and prepare all of the toppings.

-Cook the tortillas as you would usually do, or follow package instructions. I cooked mine in the oven at 400 degrees for 3-5 minutes each. 

-When the potatoes are done, get ready to assemble. There is no right way to do it. Just add the potatoes on top of the tortillas, splash a little lemon juice, sprinkle fresh cilantro, add the sour cream, cheese and tomatoes. 

If you're packing them up to take to the beach or picnic, just roll them up like Burritos. Remember not to add the sour cream if they won't be refrigerated for a while. 




-Yadi I.    





11 comments:

Jess @ Sugar High said...

I've been looking around for good vegetarian recipes, and this one looks fantastic! Going on the dinner list, for sure :)

Yadi I. @ShopCookMake said...

It really is! Dinner in under 30 minutes any day of the night.

Jane said...

I am cooking more vegetarian and vegan recipes not only due to preference but also because the prices at the store are just too high for my current food budget! When milk went from $3.30 a gallon to $3.90 I stopped buying dairy! Anyway, I do believe it's a healthier way to eat anyway, so we're ultimately benefiting.

I love the idea of potato tacos - very creative thinking. I will try them soon as I love tacos (and beer!).

elizabeth said...

Thank you for sharing this! I've been wanting to add more meatless dishes to the menu, but DH isn't a fan. We adore mexican dishes so I think he might actually like this one and I can't wait to try!

Viv said...

all i can say is i want one right now...even tho it is freezing cold over here where i live!!! looks super appetising...love the use of potato instead of meat too!

Paula @ Dishing the Divine said...

This looks so tasty! We have moved away from eating tons of meat as we've learned more about the US meat industry. Instead, we now buy meat from farms ("happy meat") but it's so expensive that it requires us to be creative with our vegetarian meals. These tacos fit the bill! :)

Karisha said...

I'm so happy I found your blog. And so happy to read you'll be posting more vegetarian recipes. I'm a vegetarian! These tacos look amazing.

P.S. I'm also 100% Boricua, pa' que tú lo sepas... ;)

Yadi I. @ShopCookMake said...

@Karisha:
Que bueno que encontraste mi Blog! Aqui otra Boricua tratando de vivir en el mundo bloguero.

Anonymous said...

I just made these. They were the perfect vegetarian tacos.

Karisha@Ruborosa said...

Yadi, los hice el domingo!!! Tenía que escribirte para decirte que me quedaron geniales! ja! ;) Lo que me hizo recordar que quería hacerlos era lo caliente que estaba el día! Todos en casa se lo devoraron, obvio te di todo el crédito! GRACIAS! xoxo

Rachael said...

I just made this recipe and it was delicious! Only issue I had was that I had to cook the potato for a lot longer than you said in the recipe. I had them in for 30 mins at 200 degrees celsius, and even that wasn't really long enough! They probably needed 10 or more minutes in the oven. Also, they didn't look a thing like yours! Mine were still white like potatoes, but with spices. How did you get yours to be so dark?! Nevertheless, thanks for the recipe! Delicious with homemade guacamole :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.