30 June 2011

Sweet Ricotta Stuffed Pierogies



Real food does take time. It's not an easy task. Well, unless you're just tossing up a simple salad. But when you want to enjoy ethnic foods, you need to set time apart for it.

A few days ago, it occurred to me that I had probably never had a Pierogi in my life. The idea of tangy dough was making my mouth salivate. 

After a few quick online searches, I found the perfect recipe. The dough was simple and easy. Only four ingredients and almost no kneading. 


It produced the most beautiful, soft dough I've ever worked with. The smell of it made want to eat it raw.
I prepared a simple mashed potato and cheese stuffing. That night I had about ten Pierogies. I'm not so proud of that accomplishment. But it was worth it!

It took me about two hours to prepare the entire recipe. It was worth every second of it. 

After preparing food completely from scratch I get a feeling of accomplishment. 


This recipe yields about 30+ Pierogies depending on the size. The ones I made are about 3 inches long. You can freeze the unused dough. I shaped and cut the dough (before freezing) so it's ready to use. 

I also made a savory version by mixing cheddar cheese into some mashed potatoes. 

Ingredients
for the dough:
2 cups of all purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1 Egg
1/4 cup melted Butter


for the filling:
1/2 cup Ricotta
2 tbsp Honey
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
pinch of salt




Procedure

-To prepare the pierogi dough, mix together the flour and salt. Beat the egg, then add all at once to the flour mixture. Add the 1/2 cup sour cream and the melted butter and work until the dough loses most of its stickiness (about 5-7 minutes). You can use a food processor with a dough hook for this, but be careful not to overbeat. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes or overnight; the dough can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.

-Mix the ingredients for the filling.  

-Roll the pierogi dough on a floured board or countertop until 1/8" thick. Cut circles of dough (2" for small pierogies and 3-3 1/2" for large pierogies) with a cookie cutter or drinking glass. Place a small ball of filling (about a tablespoon) on each dough round.


-Fold the dough over, forming a semi-circle. Press the edges together using your fingers. 





-Boil the perogies a few at a time in a large pot of water. They are done when they float to the top. Rinse in cool water and let dry.






-Sautee the pierogies in a little butter until golden brown. Serve warm. 








-Yadi I.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

NEVER MADE THEM BUT GRAMPS AND I EAT THEM ALL THE TIME. YUM. MAYBE NOW I'LL TRY TO MAKE THEM MYSELF. WISH ME LUCK.

GRANNY FROM FLORIDA

Bayaderka said...

Hello Yadi,

oh you made pierogi!
And those you made in Poland are called Russian Pierogi which does not mean that they come from Russia at all. Hovever, the filling/stuffing you made was very common among those Poles living on the east, actually south-east of Poland, near Ukraine, Belarus and so. Hence the name. And I do love. So my little girls. Beautiful food. Strongly recommend!
Have a great day!

Blo said...

Pierogi! uno de mis mejores amigos es polaco y tengo años dandole duro y dale para que me mande la receta de estos 'dumplings' polacos.

Great shot, Yadi!

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) said...

My childhood nanny was Polish and used to make these for special occasions. Good for you - very impressive making those from scratch.

cordless lawn mowers said...

That looks good.I would like to make this now.

Aleksandra Rybińska said...

Hi Yadi :),

I loove pierogi! My Mum and Nan never add egg to dough, so pierogi are more creamy and delicious :).
My fav are with strawberries served with double cream and sugar another one are with cottage cheese and potatoes fried and served with sour cream. Yum!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.