18 June 2011

Pizza Bianca Romana





I'm a lucky girl. I have three fathers. All of them biological. Let me explain. 


I have a real biological father, who raised me, but I also have two fabulous grandfathers. Seriously, they don't make them like that anymore. They're awesome!



Sadly, tomorrow I won't be able to see my father because he lives too far away. But I get to spend time with both my grandfathers. I see them at least once a week. 






We'll eat until food comes out of our ears, and drink wine all afternoon. That's how we celebrate Father's Day. Which brings me to the recipe. 


A few years ago, my Dad was still living in Naples, Italy (he lives in the US now). I went there to spend Christmas and New Year's with him and his wife. They were civilians in the NAVY.  


Because my plane was scheduled to depart from Rome, we took the opportunity to spend a few days there, enjoying the city. I made it a point to eat as much Pizza as I could during that vacation. That's when I had Pizza Bianca for the first time.      






We found this hole-in-the-wall type of place. It was full at lunch time! That's how we knew it was good. I ordered Pizza Bianca. Simple ingredients, lots of flavor.


They cooked the pizza in a brick oven. The dough was crispy and light, perfectly cooked. The cheese was creamy, fresh and flavorful.  I had found my favorite Pizza, in Rome, no less. 


Needless to say, this particular recipe is based on what I remember from the one I had in Rome. My dad, sneaking bites from my golden brown pizza, while eating his Seafood Salad at the same time.


Since I can't be with him tomorrow, I'm eating the one meal that reminds me of him. 




This recipe is for a medium sized Pizza. About 5 slices. Generally, it feeds two people. It's very easy to double. 




Ingredients
For the dough:
1.5 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 tbsp Yeast
1/4 cup Warm Water
1/4 tsp Sugar
some additional water


3/4 cup Mozzarella 
1/2 cup Ricotta
2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 Garlic Cloves
1 tsp dried Oregano (optional)




Procedure
-Put the 1/4 cup of water and sugar in a cup. Heat it for 20 seconds in the microwave. Add the yeast, mix well. Let it rest for 5 minutes.


-In a large bowl, add the flour, salt, oil. Add the yeast mixture (one ready). Mix well. Keep adding up to 1/4 cup of warm water, one tablespoon at a time,  until the flour starts to come together. Use your hands to mix it, that's the only way you'll really know if the dough needs more water. Knead until the dough isn't sticky anymore. Of course, you can use a stand mixer to do this. 


-Let the dough rise for about 40-45 minutes, covered, in a warm place.


-At this point, place the pizza stone in the oven at 350 degrees.


-Once the dough is ready, use a rolling pin to flatten it.  


-Brush a little olive oil on the dough. Chop the garlic very finely and sprinkle it on top. You could also use garlic infused oil for this step. Add the oregano (optional). 


-Sprinkle the mozzarella on top. Then spoon the ricotta.


-Place the dough in the pizza stone. Cook for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. 


Eat immediately!






-Yadi I.     

6 comments:

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) said...

Tomato sauce is my least favorite part of pizza, so this looks wonderful. Enjoy the day with your granddads. What a lovely way to be sure you're thinking about your dad.

Krystyna said...

I just made this. It was fantastic! Super light on the stomach with a great taste! Can't wait to make it again!

Yadi I. @ShopCookMake said...

@Krystyna:
Oh, I'm so glad you liked the Pizza! I'll probably make it tomorrow again.

athriftyfoodie said...

mmm, this is so simple and beautiful. Ricotta makes it have such a fresh look!

Carole said...

Hey, great pizza. It would be great if you linked it in to Food on Friday Series which is all about pizza this week.

Cannella Vita said...

Beautiful post! I was just in Rome for a month on a highschool study abroad program and fell in love with the city. I also fell in love with Pizza Bianca! I was so happy when I stumbled across this recipe and will be making it when I get home (to help with the homesickness). I added it to a recipe round up on my blog, if you want to check that out here: http://cannella-vita.blogspot.de/2013/08/italian-recipe-roundup.html

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.