14 June 2011

Jamaican Jerk Chicken






First I've got to admit this was the first time I tasted Jamaican Jerk Chicken. It's not a known dish here in Puerto Rico, even though Jamaica is our very close neighbor. 


The recipe calls for the same spices I use in a daily basis, so it wasn't anything out of my comfort zone. But it was a huge surprise! 










The combination of spices is explosive. Not overly spicy, but full of flavor. Cooking the chicken at a low temperature keeps in the meat moist and juice while at the same time crisping up the skin.  






There are thousands (or millions) of Jerk Chicken recipes on the internet. Everyone has their own version. So this is mine.


I like that it's ready in under an hour and it's easy enough to prepare regularly. Next time, I'll prepare the marinade the night before so it's ready for dinner time.  




White rice is the quintessential Puertorican side dish. We literally pair it with everything. It's mildness is especially nice with the strong flavors of the chicken.  






Ingredients 
4 Chicken Thighs
1 Shallot
2 Garlic Cloves
1 tbsp Soy Sauce
1/8 tsp All Spice
Pinch of Nutmeg
1/4 tsp fresh Ginger
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 tsp dried Thyme
the juice of half a lemon
1 tsp Brown Sugar
Pepper to taste




Procedure
-Place the thighs in a bowl. Season with pepper to taste. 


-Chop the shallot and garlic into very tiny pieces. Add to the bowl.


-Add the rest of the ingredients.


-Using your hands, cover the chicken in the marinade. Let it rest in the fridge for up to 24 hours. I couldn't wait so mine sat in the marinade for just an hour.


-Cook at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes.


Serve with white rice or a fruity salsa. 




-Yadi I. 

13 comments:

kankana said...

Love that caramelized color on the chicken... very tempting! :)

Maria said...

Great recipe, this sounds very tasty!

Stefania said...

Una ricetta gustosa e perfetta, ciao ♥

Paula @ Dishing the Divine said...

This looks sooooo tasty! :) We are having chicken tonight for dinner. I am still debating what topping to use. Maybe we should have Jerk chicken? :)

Medifast Coupons said...

Great sounding jerk recipe, nice that yours isn't all fancy ingredients that I for sure wouldn't have, I have all these. Thanks for the recipe to try the next time we are having chicken.

Mike said...

Jerk chicken is one of my favorites. And when you said it's ready in under an hour - sold!

Yadi I. said...

Thank for the nice comments! Now, go ahead and try the recipe!

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) said...

THis looks great. I don't know how you manage to get chicken photos that look so beautiful. Mine always look SCARY!

Yadi I. said...

Rivki:
It took almost 200 pictures to get one that looked decent!

Melane said...

i try this recipe and this is the best chicken i've ever eat ! thanks !

Yadi I. @ShopCookMake said...

@Melane:
I'm so glad you liked it!

Heather Jacobsen said...

Your recipe sounds really tasty. I have a jerk chicken recipe on my blog too, but your photography is so much better. I just want to reach out and eat the screen. :)

Mike said...

I made this tonight, I used fresh chili, and added a tsp of cumin, and the juice of one lemon. Bloody good.
Thanks.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.