20 June 2011

The best Chocolate Cake ever, that happens to be Vegan!





I already lost count of how many times I've made this cake. It's my go to recipe for when I need a decadent dessert in less than 30 minutes.

Unfortunately, every time I made it, the pictures weren't so good. In fact, the first time it looked like a three year old had taken the pictures. They were blurry, and just plain ugly. Picture a yellowish tint all over the cake. 

That was about nine months ago when I first started blogging on Wordpress. On January first, I moved to blogger. Most of the pictures got lost. Which is a good thing because they were all terrible. Well except for the Chocolate Ice Cream one. That wasn't as bad as the other ones. 

I'm still not happy with the results. Maybe it's the cake's fault.  

I first found this recipe two years ago on Instructables.com. It calls for just a few ingredients and it's ready in a little under 30 minutes.
It's moist, sweet and chocolaty. Add a pinch of instant coffee to highlight the overall flavor of the cake. 

If you don't care to make it Vegan, substitute the glaze ingredients for their non-Vegan counterparts. It's just as delicious. 


Ingredients
1 1/4 cups Flour
3/4 cups Sugar
1/3 cup Cocoa Powder
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Instant Coffee (optional)
1 cup Warm Water
1/3 cup Canola Oil
1 tsp Vinegar

For the Glaze:
1/2 cup sugar
4 tbsp margarine
2 tbsp soy milk
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract


Procedure
-Place all dry ingredients in a bowl.

-Add the wet ingredients except for the vinegar. Whisk well. Then add the vinegar, whisk again.

-Pour into a 9 inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

-Meanwhile, place all of the ingredients for the glaze in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat as soon as it comes to a boil and add the vanilla extract. 

-As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, pour the glaze all over it (while still in the baking dish). 

If you can, let it cool a bit before digging in. If you can't wait, who cares, go ahead and cut yourself a generous piece of cake. I like to top it off with some whipped cream. 

4 comments:

Jun said...

I don't think I can let it cool a bit before digging in. It looks heavenly.

The Procrastobaker said...

This looks so yummy yet so easy! Sometimes the simplest things are the best hey
ps i think your photography is beautiful :)

Paula @ Dishing the Divine said...

I keep an eye out for vegan recipes for my neighbor who cannot have any dairy. :) Thanks for sharing this!

Yadi I. @ShopCookMake said...

@Paula:
It's definitely something your neighbor will love!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.