04 May 2011

It's official : I hate Radishes!




I don't get it, I just don't. What do people like about Radishes? I see them everywhere. Very elegant looking. Every food blog has at least one post about how amazing Radishes are. 

Are you kidding me?

I'm not telling you not to prepare this recipe. If you like radishes, go ahead and make it. I've seen similar recipes on the web today, so I'm sure some people out there will appreciate the roasted flavor. 

For starters, they came out of the bag looking terrible. Maybe that was the problem, they came out of a bag. 

I only bought these little Radishes because they cost me .86 cents at my local Wal-Mart. They looked so red and beautiful at the time, I just had to buy them.


What are those black parts? They looked like they had fungus. Back little spots all over the inside. Maybe it was fungus. 


The smell of raw radishes is earthy, not spicy as I had been warned. The taste... well, I have no idea. 

I couldn't bring myself to put one in my mouth. They stink so bad, my dog had to leave the kitchen (she NEVER leaves the kitchen when I'm cooking). 

Not even my dog liked them!

They had a crispy texture and were white and very moist on the inside.



I see pictures of beautiful read radishes everywhere. These definitely didn't look fresh or beautiful. 

I just roasted them for 20 minutes in a little Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper and a sprinkle of dried Thyme. 


After 20 minutes, they came out of the oven looking all wrinkly. Did I over cook them? 


The smell was unbearable. Needless to say, they went straight to the garbage can. 


I should have use them for compost. 

10 comments:

Stacy said...

I don't really know much about radishes but my co-worker eats them RAW!!!!!!!!!! For like a snack. I asked her if I could try one and I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth for the rest of the day. DISGUSTING. Not to mention I nearly projectile vomited on her desk!!!

Yadi I. said...

Stacy:
You made me laugh! Now I'm glad I couldn't find the courage to taste them.

Anina said...

hi Yadi, hi Stacy, i'm a Malaysian and i never ate nor saw radishes. i live in Germany. i had my first experienced of radish when i saw how my father-in-law ate it raw in a restaurant. it looked so delicious how he ate it, hence i tried a small slice from his plate and i could not swallow. there was spicy taste in it and this was like 4 years ago. today, i ate them after i saw how my husband loved eating it and he never gave up to try to make me to like it. Because it is now the season, he bought a bunch of radishes and he prepared it thinly sliced, mixed with olive oil and salt. let it set for few minutes and i tell you, i am eating Radishes!! now i am the one who prepared it :) i guess it takes time for us to *love* it.

Stefania said...

Davvero non ti piacciono ? il loro colore è bellissimo e anche il sapore a volte ciao

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) said...

Funny funny post. I am one of those weird radish lovers you speak of, but I only eat them braised or roasted. It's possible you just don't like them, but girl, those radishes (pre-cooking) just DON'T look healthy to me. I think you may have gotten a bad batch! They should be red and smooth, no discolorations. Those simply look BAD.
Hope you don't mind my sharing a link to a braised radish recipe on my site. http://www.healthyeatingforordinarypeople.com/2011/04/braised-radish.html Maybe once you get over the trauma of this experience, you'll give them a shot. I think they're really great! :)

Yadi I. said...

Rivki Locker:
You're right, they do look back straight coming out of the bag.

Stefania:
Non mi piacciono! L'odore è pungente.

Anina:
MAybe after this whole experience goes away, I will try them again. Maybe...

Chris said...

I really like radishes, but those look disgusting. good on you for giving it a go, but i would have taken one look and tossed them for fear of getting food poisoning. that one looks like there's something growing out of it. alien radish!

Yadi I. said...

Chris:
They do look like Alien Radish!

Helen said...

LOL! This post made me laugh! Okay, your radishes do look a little not-so-fresh. The black part shouldn't be there. But even with normal radishes, I"m with you, they're getting a lot of buzz, very trendy, but I don't quite understand why. Except that they're pretty. My bf, on the other hand, gobbles them up raw. Maybe we're missing the radish gene? lol

Yadi I. @ShopCookMake said...

@helen:
Maybe you're right! We might be missing the radish gene. I get that they're pretty and elegant, but I just don't get the flavor. Like another commenter wrote, the ones I used look alien like.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.