24 May 2011

Cream of Potato





My aunt came to my house for lunch on Sunday, so I wanted to surprise her with a simple but elegant menu. She is a foodie as well, she makes the most beautiful desserts in the world.  

I made this Cream of Potato, Cole Slaw and Oven Roasted Chicken. Everything was so delicious, I was only able to photograph the cream right before eating. We were desperate to start tasting the food. 

I make a lot of soups and creams, all from whatever there is in the fridge at the time. There is no planning or measuring. Feel free to experiment with the ingredients and add or take from the measurements listed. Follow your taste.

Needless to say, this is not a low fat recipe. After all it's 'Cream' of Potato. But you can use only milk instead of the cream. 

I like to add some Idaho Potato Flakes, yes, by brand. It add extra potato flavor to the cream, than adding fresh potatoes alone. I like that particular brand because it has no additives or flavors. It's just pure dried potatoes. Plus instead of flakes, it's more like potato flour.    

This recipe feeds four people. 



4 Big Potatoes 
1/4 cup Milk
1/2 cup Cream
half a Chicken Bouillon cube
2 tsp Idaho Potato Flakes
Olive Oil
Parsley 
Salt and Pepper
Water 




-Peel and chop the potatoes, then put them in a pot. Add enough water to the pot to just cover the potatoes. Add the Chicken Bouillon cube. Cook the potatoes completely. Some water should be left. If there is no water left, add half a cup. 

-Remove them from the heat. Mash the potatoes right in the pot. Add the milk and cream and mix well with a whisk. Continue to break the potato chunks with the whisk. It's going to be soupy.

-Add the potato flakes, and continue mixing with the whisk. It's still going to be very soupy at this point.  

-Add some salt and pepper.

-Return to the heat and bring to a boil. Whisk the mixture constantly.

-As soon as it comes to a boil remove from the heat and continue whisking. At this point you can tell if it's too watery or to thick for your taste. If it's too watery add some more potato flakes. If it's too thick add some more milk or cream.

-Serve and sprinkle with some parsley, olive oil and pepper on top. 
   



5 comments:

Maria said...

Sounds like a perfect soup to enjoy during the cooler months here in Sydney!

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) said...

Great idea to add some flakes to heighten the potato-ness. This looks just lovely. Can I be your aunt?

Mai said...

Can I come over? hehe

Mary said...

What a lovely soup. It sounds delicious and you've plated it beautifully. I'm relatively new to your blog and I don't often comment. I just wanted you to know I'm here and really like the food and recipes you share with your readers. You've created a lovely spot for your readers to browse and I enjoy the time I spend here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Yadi I. said...

Mary:
Thank you for your lovely comment. It makes all the work I put into this Blog, worthwhile.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.