10 May 2011

Cinnamon Raisin Bread





This is a quick bread I made so I could use a delicious new ground Cinnamon that my mom got me. 


I didn't know Cinnamon could be so powerful. All my life I've used cheap ground Cinnamon from the grocery store. Which doesn't taste completely bad, but it's very mild compared to the 'good stuff'.



It's a very nice Vietnamese Cinnamon my mom found at the store a few days ago. I could smell the spicy goodness through the plastic wrapping. 


Let me tell you, it changed my life. It changed it so much, that I ordered Vanilla Beans online. I'm determined to discover what I've been missing by buying good spices and trying them all out.




This recipe was adapted from many combined recipes. I couldn't find just one that I liked, so I mixed and matched ingredients. It ended up really good (for a made up recipe). Soft and delicious!


It's not super sweet, if that's what you're looking for. This is a good bread that can be used for sandwiches and toast.  


I made French Toast with it. Amazing!


Sorry that I don't have pictures for the procedure. I made this bread at night in my kitchen, where the lighting isn't good at all. Scroll down to the end of the post to see some links for other recipes. 








3.5 cups All Purpose Flour (or bread flour)
4 tbsp Butter
3 tbsp Sugar
3 tsp Yeast
1/4 cup WarmWater
3/4 cup Milk
Pinch of Salt

For the filling:
1.5 tsp Cinnamon -plus- 2 tbsp Sugar 




-Put the flour, softened butter, salt and 2 tbsp of the sugar together in a mixing bowl. Don't mix yet. Set aside.


-Mix the warm water, yeast and 1 tbsp sugar and let it proof for 5 minutes. You'll know it's ready when it gets bubbly.


-Once the yeast has proofed, mix it in with the flour and incorporate everything together.


-I use my stand mixer with the hook attachment to kneed the dough. It's easier and faster. But you can kneed by hand if you want.


-Now that the ingredients are incorporated, turn the mixer on and start adding the milk a quarter cup at a time. You may not need to add the entire amount depending on how humid your area is that day. Just keep adding milk until you have a soft (non-sticky) dough.


-Knead for 5 minutes on the stand mixer (10 minutes if you're doing it by hand). 


-Let it rise for an hour and a half.


-Flatten the dough into a rectangular shape and a third inch thick. 


-Prepare the cinnamon and sugar mix. Sprinkle on top of the dough.


-Then roll and put it in the bread baking dish. Let it rise for another hour.


-Bake for 40-45 minutes at 350 degrees. 




More Cinnamon Raisin Bread recipes:


1. Honey & Butter     
2. eat a duck i must
3. panini happy



2 comments:

Mai khot said...

I found out that most Vietnamese stores has alot of spices that are so much cheaper than regular store. Not to mention fresh too! The bread looks perfect :)

Sarah said...

Ok i NEED to make this, it looks delicious!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.