05 May 2011

Baked Green Beans with Caramelized Onions and Goat Cheese

With Mother's Day happening this weekend, I thought it would be a good idea to make dishes that I learned from my mother.

There are very few dishes that I my mom taught me to prepare. We're not Italian, but Alfredo Sauce is the one thing that my mom taught me and I still remember very well. Green Beans are the second.

Every single vegetable that I ate during my childhood came from a can. It was horrible. I dreaded the brown, salty and soggy things that were supposed to be vegetables. So imagine my surprise when my mother brought fresh green beans to the house. I didn't even recognize them!

It was a huge difference from the canned beans I was used to. They were green, crisp and tasted like the earth. She boiled them every time, but I appreciated the freshness and the effort.

Today was the first time I roasted them. Let me tell you, I will never boil a green bean again.

The texture is much more interesting. They keep most of their earthy flavors.

This recipe serves 2 very hungry people. Maybe three, less hungry people.  

1 big White Onion
2 tsp Brown Sugar
2 tbsp of Water
2 tbsp Olive Oil (more or less to taste)
10 ounces of fresh Green Beans
Goat Cheese
Salt & Pepper

-Cut the onion. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes (covered) with the sugar, water and 1 tablespoon of oil. After 15 minutes, uncover and turn up the heat. Cook until they are brown and very soft. Be careful not to burn them. They will brown rather quickly after they become translucent.  

-Meanwhile, cut any rough ends from the beans and rinse them. 

-Toss the with 1 table spoon of oil (more if you want to), salt and pepper. Roast them in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Check for doneness during the cooking time. 

-Serve with the caramelized onions on top and sprinkle with as much cheese as you want.


Jennifer Brody said...

Great pictures, and a fun recipe! I loved your stories about your childhood with horrible boiled green beans. I think it's amazing that way that you've turned it around. Bravo!


Domestic Divas
"Food Is Love"

kankana said...

I make beans in a very similar way except I never used sugar on it .. will try your version too! It looks nice and such a perfect side.

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) said...

I prepare string beans like this almost every week, but never thought to add goat cheese. I also don't include sugar in mine but that looks like a good addition. Sometimes, I replace the onions with about a dozen cloves of garlic. I just chop each clove in half and roast them along with the string beans. Roasted garlic is DIVINE.

Mrs. Stranded said...

Looks delicious! I love caramelized onions.

Yadi I. said...

I only started adding sugar to the recipe after I saw Giada DeLaurentiis doing it. It helps the onions caramelize faster when you're in a hurry.

Thanks for the tip about the Garlic! I use to spread on toast, tastes like butter, mmmmmm.

Maria said...

Perfect! I have all these ingredients in my fridge, can't wait to try this recipe!

Yadi I. said...

Let me know how it turned out!

Heather Jacobsen said...

I love the idea of roasting them! And everything's better with caramelized onions. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.