10 May 2011

Bacon-Wrapped Dates








I've had a box of dried Dates in the pantry for a couple of months now and no idea what to do with them. So I decided to experiment a little with flavors.

A few of the recipes I found online, called for the Dates to be stuffed with Goat Cheese. Since this was my first time, I didn't want to over do it. But I warmed up some goat cheese to dip the Dates in. 






The other day I was reading an article about how to order in restaurants and what appetizers compliment the main dish. The author mentioned Bacon Wrapped Dates as an excellent option when the main dish is a light vegetable salad. 

I have to say that the combination of sweet and salty is fabulous. The crispy bacon was a great texture balance to the gooey dates inside.


There is nothing to lose you get crispy, creamy and gooey in one bite. Plus a sweet, salty and tangy flavor combination. 



Cut the bacon strips into two pieces each (length wise). The wrap the dates and place on a baking dish. To that with every piece.

Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the bacon is crispy.

Warm the Goat Cheese in the microwave, don't let it melt. 

Serve and enjoy!


I was inspired by the following posts:

  

6 comments:

Mrs. Stranded said...

Bacon-wrapped dates is one of my favorite hors d'oeuvres to serve during the colder months (when my oven is already on.) I have stuffed them with goat cheese before, but I never thought of melting the cheese as a dip. Great idea! I'll have to try that next time.

Mai khot said...

looking at the pictures my mouth is watering right now lol

Yadi I. said...

Mrs. Stranded:
Don't melt the cheese completely, just soften it a bit in the microwave. It's heavenly!

Joanne said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE bacon wrapped dates. I love filling them with peanut butter too!

Shiru said...

Hey Yadi, I recently visited Alicante along the southeast Mediterranean coast of Spain and I tried a regional specialty called Delicias de Elche that consisted of bacon-wrapped dates that were stuffed with a single marcona almond each. The combination is really nice and since the almond, unlike the goat cheese that may be slightly overwhelming, subtly complements the sweet-salty date-bacon pair. You could try that some day!

Yadi I. @ShopCookMake said...

@Shiru:
Next time I buy dates, I'll try them with almonds inside. I can just imagine how sublime it must taste. Thanks for the tip!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.