16 May 2011

Bacon and Goat Cheese Muffins





If this isn't a complete breakfast, I don't know what it. It's like putting toast, cheese, eggs, milk and bacon in a blender and then baking it. It's quite literally like that.


Breakfast in a muffin! Or serve it for lunch with a simple vegetable salad. 



What I loved about it is that I can fit an entire meal in a small muffin. These are great with coffee and fruit in the morning. There isn't something that I wouldn't eat normally for breakfast. Even the oil in the recipe is healthier than the usual butter on toast. If you want, substitute ham for the bacon. That would be a nice healthy change. 






There is no sugar or added salt. It's made with whole wheat flour. I bet it's healthier than anything you can buy in a drive-thru. I've 'healthyfied' the recipe my way to make it better for you. It yields six medium sized muffins. 



The texture is moist and bread-like. It doesn't crumble like a normal muffins would. Which is good because you can dunk it in a cup of coffee and it will hold its shape. 


I enjoyed mine with some milk and a salad, for a quick lunch before taking the pictures. But don't be fooled, the beets you see in the picture are there for show (added some tomatoes later). I don't like beets. I only keep them in the house because my Shih-Tzu loves them. She eats a home-cooked diet.  



1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
2.5 tsp Baking Powder
3 Eggs
1/2 cup Warm Milk
3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or other healthy oil)
3 ounces Low Fat Mozzarella
5 ounces of Bacon (weighted raw)
3 ounces of Goat Cheese 





-Chop the bacon into small pieces. Remove any excess fat (white parts) before cooking. The cook until crisp and remove all the excess, rendered fat.  

-Mix the flour and baking powder in a bowl.

-Add the warm milk, oil and eggs. Whisk well, until incorporated.

-With a spatula, mix in the mozzarella, bacon and half of the goat cheese.

-Pour into six muffin molds.

-Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of the muffins.  

-Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees. 



I first saw this recipe in a French blog, but it was a little different.








3 comments:

Maria said...

I love savoury muffins and goat cheese - yum!

Jackie | Sweet Little Thrills said...

Holy cow... these look undeniably amazing. Adding to my weekend to-do list. :)

life and kitchen said...

I love that you keep beets in the house just for your dog!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. They're always well received!

All Content on ShopCookMake.com by Yadsia G. Iglesias 2011-2012 - Please, ask if you want to use any content. - It's not permitted to alter, transform or build upon this content.